Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM how are you prepping child for kindergarten?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:11 AM
  • 28 Replies

Hello just wondering I am having a hard time getting my son to concentrate and learn with me at home so I was wondering how others are prepping their LO because Im at a loss. He wants to learn and I want to help I used to be an enrichment teacher but I cant even reach out to my own son! Videos, worksheets, talking, songs and games still dont seem to catching on and I really want him ready whatever that is!

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Put him in pre school
mommyoftigermen
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Cant afford it which is how I ended up being a SAHM lol

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I homeschool but I'd contact the school district and ask them what he is expected to know then browse pintrest.  Try different styles of learning until you find what works for him.  And take it slow :)

I'd also get him involved in things like story time at the library, playgroups, church groups if you are religious, etc.  Anything where he is expected to sit and learn in a group.

I used to teach preschool and it was mostly about learning to sit and listen in a group, learning to be part of the class, things like that.  They can learn all of that stuff through other activities.  I mean we taught them some academics as well (letter sounds, numbers, counting, shapes, colors, name recognition, writing their name, etc.) but the focus was on learning to be part of the class.

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Pinterest has some great free work sheets and fun learning game ideas.
ArmyWifey2013
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM
I homeschool for preschool and I think the most Important thing is a set schedule we have a room that is set up like a school room we always start off with calendar time then bible and then I let her choose which subject is next but every day she does 25 sight words reads a book whatever math subject we are on whatever English subject we are on and spelling words then we through science social studies in there through out... we use worksheets the internet YouTube videos sounds and games... but doing her school work is never an option.. it wouldn't be an option at school so it's not at home however she is excited about doing school work and learning... and remember if he's not picking something up go back to the basics and progress slowly at his pace.... if you give me an idea of what he already knows I can give you some websites and ideas for the next topic to do
Shelly126
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried using a tablet or computer? I have 3yr old twin boys and have been using the iPad for over a year and a half with them. They have amazing educational apps, my boys know the alphabet, can count to 20 have letter and number recognition, know lots of shapes and colors, can trace letters and do very well with puzzles.
I recently started with ABC mouse.com and that is also fantastic.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd attends Montessori. We don't do formal academic work at home, we just play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM
It was so hard for me. I thought my son would be slow bc it seemed like he refused to learn anything from me. I taught him his abcs early but it was like he forgot when i asked. I did teach him to write his name but that was hell.

He started k and zoomed right off. Learned to read even! He's in 1st with all a's all year so far. He reads to himself and is doing great. Those teachers are amazing at what they do.
debramommyof4
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I homeschool.

I messed up the preschool year with my oldest because I tried to force her to sit and learn. She hated it.

My 2nd dd went to head start for 2 years and loved it.

My son, who turns 5 in a little over a week, has always just set through lessons with his sister's when it was school time and we played counting games, sang learning songs and just had fun. He knew his letter sounds last year and asked to learn to read this year because there was no pressure. He is now stuck because he hates to sit down and read. But he wants to practice so we make it a game.

My 3 year old dd, turns 4 in April, has done the same as her brother and has better focus. But she still does not know her letters by sight. Her letter sounds are non existing. She can count to 5, knows her shapes and colors and can sing the alphabet.

I had to throw that in there so you know it works differently for all kids.
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM

We don't do formal schooling at home, but focus on learning through play. I also take DD to the library storytime, so she gets an idea of sitting in a group of kids and developing listening skills. We had attended playgroups to get her interacting with her peers. This school year, we put her in preschool so she can get used to listening to other adults and more interaction with kids her own age.

Contact your school district and find out what skills they're looking for in someone entering kindergarten. Pinterest has a lot of ideas for preschool that accomodate for different learning styles. Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)