Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Age a factor in starting school?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:16 AM
  • 30 Replies
My little on is about to turn 4 in March, and graduate PreK in May. Yes, I put her in PreK a year early (private PreK) and the teachers have said she is really really smart. What is your advice on putting her into Kindergarten a year before age allows it? Her teachers think it will be a waste to hold her back and make her repeat PreK but others keep telling me her age will hold her back...your opinion?
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deboramomof2
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I think go ahead ...I know I would ...my son is 3 and in pre k...if I was able to start him in kindergarten at 4 I would ...fuck the haters
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:22 AM

The schools here wouldn't allow it.

I started my son in kindergarten at 4 but he was homeschooled and wanting to do it.

Jenn8604
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:22 AM
As long as you stay in a school that will allow her to start K after just turning 4 I say go for it. Some schools will not let you and say that she has to turn 5 during this year (2014) or she can't enter K.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms_GeorgiaPeach
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:26 AM
Yeah it's a private kindergarten so they said age doesn't matter as long as you have passed PreK...same school as Private PreK...so they said she ready passed with what she needs to know...and will work all summer to help with reading :-)
Roo1234
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:29 AM
My husband started Kindergarten at age 4. He had said many times that he wishes his parents would have edited. Academically he did great. Socially he was fine, but feels that always being the youngest, last to hit milestones, (like driving, etc) wasn't great
yo_ho
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM

My oldest is normally the youngest in his class as his bday was right before the cut off. Same thing, super smart, but I can see the problems too. Most of his friends that he does other things with (sports and clubs) go by age so he doesn't see any of his outside friends at school (plus and minus). Also, he is exposed to those bigger kid problems at a younger age- swearing is the big one we are having problems with right now. One place where I believe he has a disservice is due to his fine motor skills. Some kids are 1-2 yrs older than him and his penmanship is compared to those kids rather than kids his actual age. As it should, but when his penmanship is on the lower end for his age plus being the youngest kid, it really works against him. I graduated a semester early and was the youngest in my class, so starting college at just barely 17. If my oldest goes straight to college out of high school, he will be 17 as well. He is only 8 now, so don't know how I will feel about it when he gets that age. Depends on what you are comfortable with. 

.Angelica.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM

our schools don't allow kids to start kindergarten unless they are 5 on August 31st. so It wouldn't even be an option for me.

ArmyWifey2013
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM
if she's smart enough and socially mature enough and the school will allow it i would do it. I homecoming my fighter for preschool and she is learning more then her kindergarten cousin but it state won't allow them to start kindergarten early
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM
It depends on the child really. My son is a fall baby so he will closer to six when he starts kinder this coming fall but for him that's what's best. Sure he is smart enough of kinder this year but we did pre k instead bc emotionally he wasn't ready.
Sebbiemama
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM

You know your child and what she is ready for. You also know what the schools in the area a like better than we do (or you can find out).

I started kindergarten at 4 and did great all through school, but I was always a little socially awkward (I was the shy nerdy girl in the class). It was the right choice for me given the times and our location/situation, but it wouldn't be for everyone.

My 4 year old was academically ready for kindergarten last year but I knew he needed another year to grow socially. It was a choice between letting him go when he's academically ready but not socially and emotionally ready or waiting until he is socially/emotionally ready but way ahead academically. Keep in mind that kindergarteners are 5-6 years old at the start. I know a few 5-6 year olds and I couldn't imagine asking him to keep up with them when he was so young. We chose to wait until he is 5 to start (he'll start this Fall) and we'll just talk to the school about giving him the support to make sure he's challenged sufficiently. We've all seen him blossom hugely over the last year in preschool where he's with the teachers and friends he knows and likes (a comfortable and safe social environment) and there is academic opportunity for growth (his teacher has had to modify some of their material to bring it up to his level) but absolutely no pressure, so I think we made the right decision in that respect. And since the schools in our area are quite excellent and both his parents are very involved with his life/education, I'm not too worried about him being bored. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)