Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 year old poops in the bathtub.

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM
  • 17 Replies
My 2 year old daughter has been pooping while I am giving her a bath. I am potty training her but she is not able to tell me if she has to go. After she eats breakfast I place her on the potty until she eventually goes, which she usually does. After about an hour or so when she gets her bath she has pooped in it( not to mention the horrible clean up). I want to try to tell her that we don't poop in the tub, but she gets very upset. Do any if you have any suggestions that will let her know we don't poop in the tub with out upsetting her?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyNameIs-
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol! My dd used to be so constipated that we put put her in the tub so she would finally poop! She was about 3 years old when we finally got it fixed. Then we transitioned her to the potty. The warm water relaxed her enough to let her poop. My advise is to keep cleaning it up (gross I know) and keep telling her that she needs to poop in the potty. Or put her on the potty as soon as you see her starting to poop. Good luck, it's not much fun now but you'll get through it!
HopesNDreams
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:57 AM
3 moms liked this
When you are getting the bath ready, also get her potty seat/potty adapter on the toilet ready. When you see her start to poop, pick her up and put her on the potty/toilet. You kind of want to get her at the 'point of no return' at first so she can't hold it in. She may be upset and it may be messy, but she is already upset and it is already messy! You will begin catching her sooner and sooner until she is being put on the potty/toilet before she poops - ideally, before she gets in the bath.
sarahw06219
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Wait, you "want to tell her" that we don't poop in the tub? If you can't tell her "no", then I don't see how this can be resolved.
mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this
My dd did the same thing and we both laughed I just let the water out cleaned it up and put her back in the tub
mem82
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Hmm, I've never really had this problem. I agree with trying to catch her and put her on the potty.

sophiesmom07
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the ladies above. I think you should continue to calmly remind her that you don't poop in the bath tub, even if she gets upset.  I would also pull her out and place her on the potty immediately. Good luck, hopefully she will grow out of this soon.

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe try teaching her the sign for potty so she can tell you that way. Not sure how to teach her not to poop in the tub. I know sometimes the warm water sort of helps them relax and that's why they poop so easily in the tub (oh, what a mess that is!!). Good luck!

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Warm water makes people need to go. Especially in kids that youn they won't always get a warning. It's not really her fault.
maxswolfsuit
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM

My younger son had the same issue. It wasn't until he was closer to three that he could stop himself and ask to get out and use the potty. 

sammywantsababy
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

If she seems to be pooping at the same time of day (tubby time) why not adjust tubby time so that she gets a bath AFTEr she has already pooped.  I don't think its a great idea to just let her keep doing it without saying to her that we dont poop in the tub. If she gets upset I think its ok....she needs to know that thats not what people do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)