Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What punishment would you expect?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

Suppose your ten year old child wrote a highly offensive note about a school employee including cursing and threats and then lied and blamed it on a classmate. 

What action would you expect the school to take? What would you do about it?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM
I would expect them to make him write an apology letter.

I'd probably "expect" a suspension as well but I don't agree with suspensions.
RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Hmmm... I'm not sure what the school would do. I always start DS's punishments with either sentence-writing or apology notes. Sometimes both.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Honestly, I have no idea. the idea of punishing a 10 year old is still foreign to me since my kids aren't there yet. I would guess letter writing would be involved. In this day and age, I would expect (though not necessarily agree) that the school would be pretty harsh to send a message. As a parent I would be concerned with the origin of the behavior cuz something like that probably didn't come from out of the blue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear413
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM
If I was school I'd suspend the child and if it's not 1 st time expel him

As a parent. A written apology. Some therapy or long discussion . And monitoring of this child she's the child does prob loose
Lots of things

I have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior
mem82
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Hm, that's several offenses all in one. I would not be surprised to see a suspension and detentions depending on the severity of the threats.

At home? Well, that child would be in big, BIG doo doo because of the lying most of all. That is just a lack of integrity all the way around. I wouldn't be *that* mad about the note, though, that would earn a 2 week grounding and extra chores on top of an apology to the teacher. The lying though would be a huge issue and the amount of trust that would need to be earned back would take a few months, at least.

dawnrothbaum
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM

A face to face apology, to start. I would expect some sort of detention, and he would be grounded at home.

jjackson2
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I would think at school a suspension and lots of detention.

At home, a written apology along with a face to face apology with me there. Grounded for a month, extra chores, no tv, no games, nothing. The child's job when at home is to be where I can supervise at all times and the child would have to explain to me why they are grounded, etc.
m.garcia21
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Id have a serious conversation with them as to why they feel this way towards the person. I wpuld also explain to them that their is different ways to express ones feelings and that that is not one of them. Id consider therapy as well.
tyfry7496
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:50 PM
In school suspension if it's his first offense. If it's a repeat issue then out of school suspension if not expulsion. He's bullying an adult and blaming others. Not cool.

I'd also add some one on one with the school counselor about his behavior.

At home, he's be writing an apology to the staff person and the child he blamed. I'd also find out where he learned the behaviors from. He'd have no electronics and would go nowhere but school for a solid month or longer.
fostermommy1
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM

It included threats, suspension at the minimum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)