Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how many of us do this?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM
  • 24 Replies

participate in any type of storytime/ library time? how long have you done them? what ages and how often?

older kiddos started when they were 6months old and it was mainly sing along/ hand games (baby bumblebee, itsy bitsy spider...) lasted for 2 1/2 yrs

now its only storytime here (moved) for 1-3yr olds. i dont like it at all, she doesnt read anything its all taped and no interaction. she asks my opinion since i have older ones too; i gave my suggestions but never changed or split groups up for baby, toddler and preschool ages. (ex she reads 25 pg books during this rarely does songs or what have you)

--just curious as to how other areas may do library time :)

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM
We did it every so often but not regularly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waytomanykids10
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:17 PM
We don't, our library has them at times when we have appointments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamatink7
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM

we havent gone to ours since last spring, our schedules changed and it wasnt worth what they did there. with the older ones, we went each wk for yrs had first play dates and met first friends from them. just frustrating i guess

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
We have gone to quite a few and finally found one we love. Many were lame, not age appropriate, or too many kids running around. I live in a Large city that has about 15 libraries, so each library is stretched thin on size & book availability (it's okay, just not great). Each library generally has a 0-2 & a 2-5 library time.

We now go to a preschool story time at a county library. It's larger, there's room for parking (& it's free to park there) & they have a ton of kids books. We go every 3 weeks (when the books are due) & now go to the preschool ages 3-5 one - my son is almost 3 but he sits & listens, the age 2 one the kids are running around and it wasn't useful for us (we will likely be going to the age 1 one next year since my youngest us 6 months).

They have preschool story time on tues, age 24-36 months on wed, age 0-12 months on thurs, & age 12-24 months on Friday, as well as a family story time on Saturday and other events here & there.

It's generally- active song, book, active song, felt story, active song, book, repeat (a finger play or active poem is usually in there too) the. A 10 minute related movie on the projector. It's 30 min in all, at least 50 people attend, and there's a line to get in. After 100 people or 15 minutes after it starts they close the doors to the room.

ERMDK
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:50 PM
We go, but not as much as we used to. I started taking the twins when they were about 9 months old (they'll be 4 in March.) Of course, they outgrew the infant - 24 months class, but now we try to make a couple preschool classes each month. The 2 year old can usually handle those (but not always) and I also have an almost 8 month old who pretty much gets dragged around with the older kids and doesn't get anything just for him.
Also, we go to the next county over. Their programs are great! We've tried a few in our county, but most of them are at seemingly random, inconvenient times.
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:54 PM
My youngest who is 2 now has been going since 7 months. He loves it! It's for a 1/2hr. They do songs, read books, have interactive objects for the lo's have this helps elp sometimes and now do a little craft activity at the end. At 15months old he strayed also going to the library for "early learning art and story time. It's an hour long. 1st they sing, read and play games that all go together and they do crafts that go with the topic of the stories.
He loves it so much we got to know the employees so well I noe work there for a couple of hours a week. :)
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Weekly for 3 years. I have 6 yr and 2 year old. She does book reading, active songs, felt stories, lots of integrated sign language learning...sometime brings in a magician, children's book authors or illustrators, zoo staff, firemen with truck, policemen with patrol cars, etc for special days. They do treats for holidays, trick or treating, apple tasting in the fall, musical instruments, etc. At the end of summer she has a picnic day.
She is awesome!
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Yes we try to if we can..
mamatink7
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM

thats pretty cool they do all that. dont get me wrong, our library does have visitors but just not good age-appropriete story time. mainly just for older preschoolers, nothing for younger than 5

Quoting lovinmyboys...: Weekly for 3 years. I have 6 yr and 2 year old. She does book reading, active songs, felt stories, lots of integrated sign language learning...sometime brings in a magician, children's book authors or illustrators, zoo staff, firemen with truck, policemen with patrol cars, etc for special days. They do treats for holidays, trick or treating, apple tasting in the fall, musical instruments, etc. At the end of summer she has a picnic day.
She is awesome!

maxswolfsuit
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

During summer when I am we go sometimes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)