Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

18 mos still not saying momma

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
Ya she's still not calling me anything! She says Elmo, dadda..( not just her dad is dadda) bye bye, hi, nothing for her big sis either. I'm worried about her actually; I've been since she's been born. She just was always "different" I had early intervention come out when she was under a year and they said she didn't need any services. But I do have an appt with an autism department at CHOP (a big pediatric hospital in Philly) this spring. I am not saying she has autism; just maybe some neurological issue? Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated!
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lottie925
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I would definitely pursue services again. It's hard under a year, because a lot is still normal then. I thought I read that 18 months would be about 50 words? (I could totally be wrong there, but mine was there).

What things are raising your red flags?

SCL_HF
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

DS didn't say any form of Mom until he was a little over 2yo. He always sort of babbled and made sounds but didn't start really spitting the words out until he was over 2yo. Even now he struggles with pronouncing some letters and words but the pedi told us that if the speech therapist thought he was doing okay that he might just be a late talker which is totally normal. 

Good luck at the appt in the Spring! Keep us updated!!

polkaspots
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk. Ds is two and not speaking at all. I wouldn't be concerned as long as she's progressing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillVon
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 2 and she knows who I am and how to say momma, but she prefers to call me bob hahaha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oliveoil423
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is only 16months old and only says one word and that quack. Plus it took my brother awhile to talk and say words probable the same age. My mom took both my brother and i to speech class. Try that and see if it helps. The only reason why i had to go cause had trouble saying words that i couldny pronouse them. Good luck.
bth.klh
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
It can be very normal.. and yes they do say thay at 18 months your lo should be saying 30 to 50 words
By my son didn't start saying more than 5 words until he was almost two. Every child is different. My sons problem we found out is that he is deaf In one ear. Butall children learn differently.
GoldenLinds
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds never called me anything... when I was around. I never heard him call me mom until he was almost 2. But he was saying other things so I didn't worry. We tend to talk about daddy more and when we are with them the most they wil pick that up quicker. If nobody is talking about you to her then it might take her longer to recognize you have a title. Its like, in their minds, unless they are addressing someone else then its implied that they are talking to you. Have you tried incorporating signs in? My son was very active like advanced kind of active so speech was not at the front of his mind. But Inc he had a few movements to go with words it reminded him to actually use those words. It really helped him right at 18months to make the leap to learn to talk.
harajukumoma
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:52 AM
She just has been since she was born; really hyper, never able to self soothe, doesn't eat much, still needs a bottle with milk to calm her, won't let me rock her to bed, won't ride ride/on toys- like doesn't know how to.

Quoting Lottie925:

I would definitely pursue services again. It's hard under a year, because a lot is still normal then. I thought I read that 18 months would be about 50 words? (I could totally be wrong there, but mine was there).

What things are raising your red flags?

AviannasMama
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Reading these reply ' s makes me feel a little better bc my son is 11 months and only says dada. I know it's only 11 months but dd was an early talker.

I'm glad to see its normal. Have you talked to her pedi?
Karmea
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Learning language isn't about repeating random words when someone asks you to repeat them, it's about understanding what they're for and using them for a purpose. It's possible she just hasn't had the need to call you or your other daughter by name. If you're there when she needs you, if she gets whatever she's after in another way, she may just not be motivated to figure out what the word Momma will get her. She will eventually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)