Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

curiosity

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM
  • 16 Replies
My son is 21 months old and is still not talking. He says "mama", "Dada", "stop" and he understands what is being said to him but he is not forming sentences I guess. The doctor wants to put him in speech therapy but I feel like he'll talk when he's ready. I Dont think we should rush him. My question is....how old was your DS or DD when they started talking?
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this

both of mine were about 18 months.  i wouldn't consider speech therapy until 2 years old.  if your child is still in the same position in 3 months, you should at least have an evaluation done.  it'll be up to you whether you pursue therapy but i would explore the option to make sure you are not overlooking a bigger issue than lack of desire...

if you aren't already, do not give him anything until he attempts to use the word for it.  if he wants a cup of milk and points to the cupboard where the cups are or the fridge where the milk is make him say "cup" or "milk" before he gets it.  it doesn't have to sound perfect but he does need to try.  necessity is the mother of invention.  if he gets what he needs by grunting or pointing then he has no motivation to advance his speech.  if he starts to get frustrated because you aren't complying anymore then he'll learn that he needs a new tactic...talking.

GL

TrinitaSimmons
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Thank you. I am most definitely gonna try this

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

both of mine were about 18 months.  i wouldn't consider speech therapy until 2 years old.  if your child is still in the same position in 3 months, you should at least have an evaluation done.  it'll be up to you whether you pursue therapy but i would explore the option to make sure you are not overlooking a bigger issue than lack of desire...

if you aren't already, do not give him anything until he attempts to use the word for it.  if he wants a cup of milk and points to the cupboard where the cups are or the fridge where the milk is make him say "cup" or "milk" before he gets it.  it doesn't have to sound perfect but he does need to try.  necessity is the mother of invention.  if he gets what he needs by grunting or pointing then he has no motivation to advance his speech.  if he starts to get frustrated because you aren't complying anymore then he'll learn that he needs a new tactic...talking.

GL

ShannaBee
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I had an early talker who had a high vocabulary but my niece is two, will be three in a few  months, and she has a vocabulary of probably 15-20 words, most of it is gibberish. Also, my stepson was a late talker too, he also spoke in a lot of gibberish but he eventually caught up when his mom put him in a daycare/preschool.

TheartAH
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM
I don't see speech therapy as rushing anything, more like ensuring that he is not behind his peers when he goes to school. Giving him the best start possible. From what I understand most kids enjoy it. Have you looked at it from your sons perspective? Can you imagine being unable to communicate with the majority of other people around you?
My older DD was a late talker. I never pursed any speech for her but wish I had. She is 9 now and although she does well in school her vocabulary is just now starting to be level with her peers.
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

My oldest has speech delay/issues. At her two year appointment I brought it up to her Dr. She didn't want to test her till 2.5 months. Because around two is when they have a speech boom.

So we waited till then and then got her test. She has been in speech since she was two and half years old. She is know 10 years old and has issues with speech.

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:40 AM

DD1 started saying words around 18-20 months, but really was just over 2 when he started to really talk

DD2 was the same as DD1

DD3 talked earlier, but I can't remember when

withsecond
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I'm horrible with remembering how old my kids were when they hit milestones. They hit them when they were supposed to. 

However, I don't think speech therapy is rushing anything. It can't hurt. If there is in fact an issue, it will only help. 

SCL_HF
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

DS was about 2 months delayed in speech. Pedi said that if it interferes with him getting into school, then we should have him evaluated but as long as he is making steady and consistent progress he should catch up before it's an issue. In the end it is a decision that will be between your family and your Pedi but there is a lot to consider. Good luck Momma!

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM

All kids are different. My dd was behind and didn't really start talking until around 3. She is now 6 and a chatter box.  

SophiaKsMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM
My dd 3 was evaluated for speech and is currently in speech therapy. She was talking but she leaves letters off of words. But she also has trouble saying several letters.

I even brought it up several times with her pediatrician before I took matters into my own hands. He was actually getting ready to give me a referral.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)