Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Three year old showing interest in wanting to learn to read

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM
  • 24 Replies

Every since she was two, my daughter has shown interest in books, so I read to her. Her earlier books were very easy, and short, and eventually she could read them-but I am pretty sure she just memorized the book and was reciting it (but I was still super proud).

Now, when we read, she jumps around the paragraphs asking what each word is. She makes me read the sentence, then she reads it. Now, she is starting to recognize some words and she's able to read them outside of books (she gets excited if she sees a word she knows on TV).

I figured there may be some fun websites aimed at toddlers that teach them to read that I can use in conjucture to us actually reading her books. Does anyone know of any that are free? DH and I have discussed ABCMouse but I figured there were some free alternatives.

I love to read and it looks like she is taking after me!!

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I'm personally not a fan of using apps or websites for education but that's just me. 

She's currently memorized her favorite stories and has memorized some sight words.  Your next step is getting her to really work on her phonics so she knows what each letter says.  My dd is 4 1/2 and is also a bookworm.  She's been doing basic c-v-c reading since she was 3 1/2 thanks to Montessori!  What we did for phonics around 3 was to make all 26 letters on construction paper out of pom poms.  We hung all 26 pages in our hallway and then put stickers on them that corresponded with the letter.  For example:  the S page had a snake sticker, a sun sticker, etc.  We had a blast making each letter and even more fun going thru all of our stickers to decorate them!  Some people do letters of the week as well and find a way to incorporate said sound into everyday activities.  Just follow her lead and see what she enjoys.

Also, Costco sells boxes of Bob Books which are great for early readers.  I bought a set for my dd and haven't utilized them very much.  They tend to have sound themes all thru one book which is great.  They are especially great for reinforcing blends like "th" "sh" "ch" "ck" etc. once you are at that point.

debramommyof4
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Try starfall.com and readingbear.com. Both are free but make sure she learns her phonics sounds as well. Or she will have a harder time later.
susan_marie
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I think if you keep doing what your doing, her love of books will grow even more, because your doing it together. At this age, I would stay away from such web sites as much as possible. It will become an easy habbit for her to want to be infront of a screan instead of a book. 

ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:06 AM
I taught my son to read at 4. We started with sight words, I would make fun games with them. Then when I read to him I would point out the sight words that he learned in the book. We built on that method and he was reading well by 4. At 5 he's reading at a 3rd grade level. Build on that interest and make it fun!
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM

I'm not a fan of using electronics to teach reading either.  My 3 year old is starting to read.  I taught my son to read at 4 using Bob books and she is using the same books.  She can read the first 3 books by sounding out the words.  We are also using explode the code get ready for the code because she loves workbooks.  Her brother is homeschooled and she wants to be included.  We are also making an ABC book using her handprint and footprints.

The best thing about Bob books is they don't have to have all of the sounds of all of the letters memorized to start to read using phonics.  The first book I think it uses 4 letters.  They add sounds and length from there gradually getting more and more difficult.  I find this approach to work very well for my kids because it shows them why they are learning the sounds.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:44 AM

Where did you get these books?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I'm not a fan of using electronics to teach reading either.  My 3 year old is starting to read.  I taught my son to read at 4 using Bob books and she is using the same books.  She can read the first 3 books by sounding out the words.  We are also using explode the code get ready for the code because she loves workbooks.  Her brother is homeschooled and she wants to be included.  We are also making an ABC book using her handprint and footprints.

The best thing about Bob books is they don't have to have all of the sounds of all of the letters memorized to start to read using phonics.  The first book I think it uses 4 letters.  They add sounds and length from there gradually getting more and more difficult.  I find this approach to work very well for my kids because it shows them why they are learning the sounds.

Bluecalm
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Quoting iansmommy9:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I found them at my library. They have a lot of early reader books. Maybe yours does too.
ShannaBee
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Thanks ladies for the advice!
withsecond
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

ABCmouse is awesome. 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Amazon has them but they're cheaper at Costco. That's where I got them.

Quoting iansmommy9:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN