Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Very picky eater... need help please

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

So my oldest DS9 eats pretty much anyting i make or at least tries it no questions asked. He is the kid in school that loves the salad bar and asks for broccoli instead of fries if we are out. My middle DS4 on the other hand will not even try food. He likes hot dogs, chicken nuggets (frozen not mcdonalds) macaroni. Wont try anything else that i make. I have tried really hard over the last year not making something different. What i make is dinner, from lasagna to chicken alfredo, salad or any type of veggie. I seldomly get him to try something if i let him put ketchup on it, but i try not to do that cause he will never get the taste of what im making to know if he likes it or not. It becomes a bribe to get him to eat or i get very frustrated and downright mad if he wont eat or even try. While im cooking he says i dont like that or im not hungry. I tell him well this is dinner. If your not going to eat you dont get anything till breakfast. (many talks with the dr for this issue.) he is not overweight but big for being 4yrsold. 44lbs and 48inches. Dr says he is ok not eating at night he will eat if/when he gets hungry. im just so tired of the begging and pleading because i feel aweful or someone is going to call on me if he says hes never fed dinner. I make him a plate & he refuses to eat. Im not asking him to eat liver & onions. I have tried having him help in the kitchen so he sees what is being cooked but if he doesnt like the way it looks he wont do it. then i get mad again that he isnt even trying. I feel like there is something wrong with me cause my patience is just gone. Anyone have any tips or tricks or at least some advice so i dont get so mad that he wont even try to eat???

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
polkaspots
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:44 PM
What has he been eating? Since he started eating foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rdnkwskygrl
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Quoting polkaspots: What has he been eating? Since he started eating foods.

When he started eating foods he ate all the veggie & fruit puree's. Then incorporated food from there, peas, green beans, potato, carrots. Only problem now is my youngest is starting to be the same way.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM

You are in power struggle at this point and I am guessing he might be enjoying the battle every night (seems crazy because you are angry and frustrated but eating is now a thing to debate and test and argue about). What has been working with mine is he gets 2 choices for certain foods and he MUST pick one and eat it. For example I will ask him pears or peaches? Or would you rather have apiece of bread or rice? That way he feels like he has a little control and it is not a battle of wills. Also, my son does not like his foods mixed up and I respect that. So if I make ravioli I know he doesn't want sauce on his. Or if we have burritos I know he'd rather have his tortilla cut into pieces and served on the side. He'll eat the tomato cut up but seperately. I give him cubed cheese not shredded. Some moms hate making those accommodations but for me it's not that big a deal. I guess it depends on if you want to fight about it or if you want to find a different way to have a peaceful meal.

Mommytosma
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:37 AM

It is hard when there is a picky eater at the house, I have one my Son almost 4 years old, since he was little he is very picky, we discover he has a more sensitive tongue than a normal person, things that we don't taste he does and it bothers him, so we just make it simple, just a little of salt or none, no sauce unless he ask for it, to try things he have started to tell him just try a little if you don't like it you don't need to eat it but at less you try it!. I was a picky eater when little and growing up changed and I have try food I never though trying when I was younger

mem82
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Hm, I would start not insisting, but I would make him leave the table to sit in bed if he said anything negative about the food. I would also let him help cook.
I would also make sure he wasn't eating too much earlier in the day to make it easier for himto skip.
Lastly, I would start serving a small dessert for those that eat their dinner. I wouldn't address him about it. Just announce at the beginning of the meal that their is one and a fair amount of food has to be eaten to get it. Don't make eye contact with your son and don't engage him during the bad behavior. If he chooses to not eat, he must be polite.if he isn't,don't fight just send him away but act like you are bored and couldn't care less.
polkaspots
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM
It should pass then. I had the same issue with dd a while back, but she got tired of being hungry I guess. I only give a small snack when they refuse to eat.

Quoting rdnkwskygrl:

Quoting polkaspots: What has he been eating? Since he started eating foods.

When he started eating foods he ate all the veggie & fruit puree's. Then incorporated food from there, peas, green beans, potato, carrots. Only problem now is my youngest is starting to be the same way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

my son is very picky too. I think he lives on dairy and fruit most the time. Oh, and cereal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN