Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 4 year will be going to VPK in August.....UPDATE

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:14 AM
  • 16 Replies
I went to dollar tree and got a few workbooks and he loves them. He does a few pages every night with me telling him to do it.

My 4 year old will start VPK in August but an having a hard time getting him to write his name and alphabets. Any tips to help him?
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by Brooke on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:36 AM

Just keep practicing. Get him fun books to trace letters. My son went to Kindergarten at 4 1/2 and, while he knew how to write his name and he knew all his letters, many of the kids in his class did not. Every kid is different. They should be teaching him that type of stuff in pre-K, IMO.

Keda84
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:40 AM
I wasn't sure if he should know that before starting. My oldest was reading at age 2 1/2 so I thought my 4 year old should at least know how to write his name. I'm not pushing him and we do practice once a day.

Quoting bhwrn1:

Just keep practicing. Get him fun books to trace letters. My son went to Kindergarten at 4 1/2 and, while he knew how to write his name and he knew all his letters, many of the kids in his class did not. Every kid is different. They should be teaching him that type of stuff in pre-K, IMO.

withsecond
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM

He's starting preschool? 

He doesn't have to know how to write starting preschool. That's something they will teach and help him with.

It obviously is good to help him learn at home as well but don't go crazy thinking he has to know how before he goes. 

Keda84
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Yes preschool good to know I was worried about that.

Quoting withsecond:

He's starting preschool? 

He doesn't have to know how to write starting preschool. That's something they will teach and help him with.

It obviously is good to help him learn at home as well but don't go crazy thinking he has to know how before he goes. 

withsecond
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I was as well when mine started. 

All kids learn at different paces and the point of preschool, is to help them along for when they get into school. My kids ended up picking up a lot in preschool. I worked with them at home as well but they did better in a school type setting. 

Quoting Keda84: Yes preschool good to know I was worried about that.
Quoting withsecond:

He's starting preschool? 

SCL_HF
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

The Zumbos Early Learning App has a section where you can trace upper and lower case letters. One of my favorites! :)

.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM

my son didn't like writing for the longest time. he seems to like dry erase boards though

mariesmama
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this

have him trace iti made my 4 yr old do this tonight,then i told her to write her name its not perfect,but its legible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)