Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Strawberry Allergy

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM
  • 34 Replies

My kids love, love, love strawberries. The local FFA recently sold strawberries as a fundraiser and we bought a flat. We got them Tuesday and DD has had some with dinner the last few nights and lunch yesterday.

Last night after she washed up, I thought she still had some strawberry on her face, so I washed her face as well and it didn't come off. This morning, her little face is still red and blotchy right around her mouth.

I have lots of food allergies (recently discovered), but so far my kiddos hadn't shown signs of any. Poor kiddo. I hate that she may be allergic to something she loves so much. :/

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM
It happens. DS is allergic to 19 foods (I have a blog about it http://adventuresinallergies.wordpress.com)

I thought DS had a strawberry allergy for awhile - strawberry is in a LOT of kid foods (fruit snacks, juice, etc).

Good luck with her food allergy - we got DS tested at 2 & he came back positive to all his foods. I highly recommend the aviu-Q epipen over the regular epipen if you get one
RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Thanks! I'm glad you mentioned this, because she doesn't have any reaction when she eats foods with strawberries in them (we love these little 'fruit-bite' things from Meijer--I think that's the what they're called).

Anyway, it's winter and our skin gets dry and... maybe her skin was just sensitive to having strawberry juice on it for too long (maybe any fruit would have caused the same irritation)?

19 foods is a lot--especially for a little one. :( I have 36 and after almost 3 years, it's still a struggle sometimes. Fortunately, my symptoms don't require an epipen--reactions range from stuffy nose/sore throat to stomach problems, sleep issues, etc. They can be very harmful in the long run and it's not fun, but it's not the scary, dangerous reaction many people have.

Thank you! I'll keep your recommendation in mind if we do have to go that route.

Quoting collinsmommy0: It happens. DS is allergic to 19 foods (I have a blog about it http://adventuresinallergies.wordpress.com) I thought DS had a strawberry allergy for awhile - strawberry is in a LOT of kid foods (fruit snacks, juice, etc). Good luck with her food allergy - we got DS tested at 2 & he came back positive to all his foods. I highly recommend the aviu-Q epipen over the regular epipen if you get one


othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:28 PM

That would suck if she was allergic to them

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Yes. I'm hoping I'm overreacting. Maybe just a coincidence (chapped face). We'll see! :)

Quoting othermom:

That would suck if she was allergic to them


sophiesmom07
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Aww, that's too bad   I have heard that you can reintroduce some things later on (not sure if strawberries are one of them. )  

maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope it's not too bad!

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, I've heard that, too. In fact, I've been able to reintroduce a few things myself since I had my allergy tests done.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

Aww, that's too bad   I have heard that you can reintroduce some things later on (not sure if strawberries are one of them. )  


.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:55 PM

awe. I don't have much experience with food allergy.

GoldenLinds
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:10 AM
By youngest brother was having an allergy for a while and we thought it was strawberry. He kept getting hives. We never figured it out for sure but we think citronella was it. Anyhow, our doctor said strawberries are a common child allergy but that its often short lived. As in less than a year and that most kids grow out of it.
Karmea
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:01 AM

I don't think you're looking at an allergy. Typically food allergies involve hives or other histamine reactions (runny eyes/nose, itching, swelling throat), which are short-lived. Plus, she would have had a reaction immnediately, not days later.

Something to consider is raw strawberries are very acidic and can easily irritate delicate skin. Since the problem is limited to her mouth and face, I bet she just had too many strawberries in too short a time and all that acid was too much for her young skin. Once she heals, you might try to just let her have a reasonable amount now and then and get her face cleaned off right away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN