Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Help! My 24 month old...

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have twin girls who are about 24 months old. My baby A, Izzy, throws a fit when she doesn't get her way. And when she does she calls for my mom. It upsets me in different degrees. When I tell her she can't have a pencil, for example because she eats the graphite, she throws a fit and runs off to avoid me. When we have to leave places she enjoys she will throw a fit. I try and take my time with her and explain to her that we have to leave or that pencils are not for her mouth, it's like I've robbed her of something. Not only that, she'll call out for my mom. My mom to them is someone who will give them anything to stop them from crying, and that is something i or my their daddy disagree with. 

Has your child ever acted this way? How did you compose yourself? What did you do? Did it help both you and your baby? Is your mom or in-law the run-to parent of your children?

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wickedfunmom
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister-in-law actually gave me advice because DS was giving me a hard time when we were leaving places he enjoyed-- we now do the 2 minute rule. He actually likes it.. he and I set the 2 minute timer on my phone and he knows that means "last toy" ... when the timer goes off it's time to go. Hope this helps !! 

JCKitten87
by Kat on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM
I love your suggestion. & op, hopefully its a phase. My dd went through the same thing as a toddler

Quoting wickedfunmom:

My sister-in-law actually gave me advice because DS was giving me a hard time when we were leaving places he enjoyed-- we now do the 2 minute rule. He actually likes it.. he and I set the 2 minute timer on my phone and he knows that means "last toy" ... when the timer goes off it's time to go. Hope this helps !! 

.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:18 AM
2 moms liked this

sounds like a normal 2 year old, but your mom really has to stop going against what you say and giving into them. that isn't helping anything. I would talk to your mom.

Capemom01
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
We do this too when my daughter is having a hard time leaving something or going to bed. We put a 5 minute timer on my phone and sometimes just saying we are doing that is enough for her to pull it together and be ready for whatever is next all on her own before the timer even goes off

Quoting wickedfunmom:

SophiaKsMom
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM
I think its nor normal for them to ask for someone when upset. My dd 3 asks for either daddy, nana or grandma when she gets upset with me.
wonderstruck11
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
This. You really need to tell your mom that she is making your job a lot harder.

Quoting .Angelica.:

sounds like a normal 2 year old, but your mom really has to stop going against what you say and giving into them. that isn't helping anything. I would talk to your mom.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Children this age(and even older) need some help with transitions so it's always good to warn them. I try to give my son a fifteen minute warning and a five minute warning(not that he understands how long that us but he has time to get himself ready). As for her crying for your mom, of course she does if grandma gives her whatever she's crying for! I think you need to talk to your mom about that and tell her if you say no, it's no AND get your mom to tell her that you are saying no to keep her safe or to take good care of her.

JRSMOMMM
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes my son did the same thing, My mom (like yours didn't respect my "rules") So I informed her if she couldn't do as I asked with MY son then she will not babysit until she does... She eventually got it and now we work together on raising my son as I see fit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)