Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Possible Dehydration??

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:08 PM
  • 3 Replies
Yesterday and today my 2 year old hasn't been having as much urine output as usual and when she does potty, it's dark yellow and smells really strong. Nothing has changed as far as her fluid intake. She also seems to be slightly constipated. It's been cold and wet here so we haven't been outside playing the last week so she hasn't been getting overheated at all. Both kids got their flu shot on Monday- I don't know if that could have something to do with it or not. This evening was the first time she's had a fever all week and it was low grade.

Her pediatricians office is closed on Fridays so I couldn't get in touch with anyone there to ask what I needed to do.

So I'm coming here... Do any of you have any ideas I can try? Do you think I need to take her to the ER? I'm completely clueless as to how to handle this since it's a first time occurrence.

Thanks for any advice or info!!
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Is her mouth dry?  Does she have tears when she cries?  If her mouth is still wet, she's still doing alright.  Give her popsicles and try to get her to drink anything (even stuff you don't usually let her have like Gatorade, juice, etc). 

My 7 year old son just had the flu and we just loaded him up on watered down Gatorade because that was a treat for him.  We had him at Urgent Care due to a high fever and they told us they wanted him peeing at least 3 times a day. 

If she refuses fluids, doesn't pee every 3-4 hours and you see that her mouth is dry then take her to Urgent Care or the ER. 

Kristal_25
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Her mouth gets dry feeling if I don't keep her supplied with fluids... As in after 30 minutes of not having anything her mouth feels dry to the touch. She hasn't really cried so I'm not sure about the tears. All she's done "crying" wise is throwing temper tantrums and she doesn't ever have tears when she does that. I've been giving her all kinds of fluids since lunch time yesterday (when I first realized her pee was really dark and strong smelling). Today she only peed 3 or 4 times all day which is REALLY low for her. And each time it was dark, strong smelling and nowhere near as much as usual.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Is her mouth dry?  Does she have tears when she cries?  If her mouth is still wet, she's still doing alright.  Give her popsicles and try to get her to drink anything (even stuff you don't usually let her have like Gatorade, juice, etc). 

My 7 year old son just had the flu and we just loaded him up on watered down Gatorade because that was a treat for him.  We had him at Urgent Care due to a high fever and they told us they wanted him peeing at least 3 times a day. 

If she refuses fluids, doesn't pee every 3-4 hours and you see that her mouth is dry then take her to Urgent Care or the ER. 

.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM

that's really odd. I wish I had some advice for you but i'm not sure what it could be. does your pediatrician have a 24 hour advice nurse line?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN