Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Toddlers and babies.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:27 AM
  • 26 Replies
So, SO and I are wanting another baby but we aren't going to ttc until next year probably. My DD will be 2 in April and so obviously when we ttc she will be around three. Have any of you had children spread out that far apart and whatnot. I am trying to figure out pros and cons here on waiting three years or so between kids.
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NicLof2
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this
We started trying last March when our lo was 14 months we just conceived in Nov. he will be 2 1/2yrs old. We think that's a perfect age although I have to say for me (but I'm 35) it's very tiring being pregnant with a toddler. Good luck!
.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:12 AM

my first two are 4 years, 3 months apart. they've done fine with each other so far (they are 6 and 2 now) I am due in october and my 2 year old will be 3 months away from 3. I'm worried about her initial adjustment just because she's so attached to me.

Capemom01
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:42 AM
My daughter turned 2 a couple of months after my second baby was born. If is exhausting sometimes but it love having her young with the baby. She loves her and my baby adores my 2 year old. It was sometimes a lot handling being pregnant with a toddler but I totally think that it is worth it
sarahw06219
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM
My kids are 21 months apart. We planned it that way because we thought we wanted to keep the "stages" together- get the baby thing done, then move onto the school age thing etc, instead of getting one into kindergarten them starting over.

Honestly, for me it has been too close. I REALLY wish we had waited longer in between, so that the older one was closer to maybe 4 when the second one was born. It has just been too hard, and both kids have lost out because of it. They are both demanding of my attention I'm different ways, and i wish I had time to focus on each one individually more often. If you have one in kindergarten before a new baby, then you naturally have a full morning with just the baby, then you can have time with the lose one when the baby naps. I also wish I had more time to just enjoy my little kids instead of being so stressed and overwhelmed by meeting the needs of a baby and a toddler.
theosgirl45
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM

My DD turned four in June and her baby brother was born in October.  So there is just a little over 4 years between them.  I love their age gap.  Lillian(my almost 6 year old) is able to do a lot of things herself; she feeds herself, dresses herself, uses the bathroom herself, etc.  She is old enough to understand that her brother isn't a toy, that he is delicate and needs to be handled gently.  She is also in school and that gives me and Jake(my son) time to bond with each; just me and him.  They get along with each other(most of the time lol) just fine.  

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM
There are going to be tough days and adjustment regardless of age gap.

My son was 2 when I got pg with my dd. They are just shy of 2yrs8mos apart. Things were great at first...until she got mobile and he hit the fabulous 4s. He was SO mean to her. Pushing her down, biting her, etc. It was awful. However, they are 7+ and 4.5+ and get along great now. They certainly fight but love each other very much. My dd just worships him which I love because I have 2 older brothers and love that relationship.

I'm now 32w pg with number 3. My dd was lovingly referred to as birth control! We knew we wanted 3 but weren't ready when she was a toddler. Shortly before her 4th birthday, the timing just seemed right. We got pg the month after she turned 4.

I'm sure the 7+ year and 4.5+ year gap will be wonderful cuz they are independent and helpful but will also bring some jealousy. It will just be what it will be and we'll deal with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM

All my kids are three years and some months apart. Just what hubby and I wanted. To me there are no cons.

olivejuice2
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM
I only have one so far, but my mom had 3. There's a little less than 2 years between me and the middle sibling, and almost 4 years between the younger siblings. She told me that if she could do it again she'd space us all out 3 or 4 years because it was easier that way.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM

All my kids are 2 years or under apart. I couldn't imagine having htem 3+ years apart.

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:46 PM
My kids will b 4years apart when this one gets here
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN