Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My jealous 4 year old

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 4 Replies

I have twins b/g. My boy is very easy: out-going, loving caring, charming. All the things you wish for in your 4 year old.

My girl makes me so stressed out and most of the time I feel like I am the worst parent ever.

Problem #1 Jealousy: They go to a nice pre-school where all the rich kids go. We are fine financially but I choose to live a life as simple as possible. I am happy in my middle class neighborhood, I buy things I need not things I want. We get invited to play at her classmates's  houses quite often. The moment we arrive at one of those nice mansions my daughter started looking at the million toys she doesn't need and got so sad and jealous. Yesterday she threw the biggest tantrum because she wanted to ride her friend's bike with the fancy horn because hers doesn't have horn.

Then she complains to me that no kids at school wants to play with her. The next day she complains because Erica follows her everywhere and copies her. 

When I asked why no one wants to play with her, she answered 'I don't want anyone to touch my toys'

It is so tiring and sometimes embarrassing that I don't want to get her out to play with other kids. She plays with her twin brother very well but as soon as some kids join in she got furiously jealous. She becomes so unhappy and starts sulking in the corner. 

I have been explaining to her that we don't buy eveything she sees at her friends. I have been very gentle with her but it hasn't working yet. I am wondering if you all have suggestions and ideas.

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mycutepup
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM

BUMP!

mycutepup
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM

BUMP!

Lorraine2674
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Hmm I don't really have a solution, maybe take her to volunteer at a homeless shelter so she can see that some kids have nothing. It might help her understand :-/ good luck
RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe give her a set of chores that she can do to earn money and tell her that if there's something she REALLY wants, she can save up for it and buy it herself.

My kids have some chores that they're just expected to do (no payment) and others they can choose to do for money. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)