Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I love this insight

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM
  • 11 Replies
5 moms liked this

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SCL_HF
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Love this!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
We use this phrase for our dd ever since we saw Sheryl doing press tours for her book. She said "executive leadership skills" in the interview and we loved that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahw06219
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Sorry, but I disagree. A good leader inspires people to follow, sets good examples and encourages others to participate in their plans. "Bossy" kids (male or female) generally bark orders at their peers, tell them they have to do things their way, and make the people they are "leading" feel angry and annoyed.

There is a good reason we stop children (male and female) from engaging in "bossy" behavior: it is not desirable or socially agreeable. It is our job to help teach our children POSITIVE social behaviors. Sorry, but leadership is not the same as bossiness.
susan_marie
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Quoting sarahw06219: Sorry, but I disagree. A good leader inspires people to follow, sets good examples and encourages others to participate in their plans. "Bossy" kids (male or female) generally bark orders at their peers, tell them they have to do things their way, and make the people they are "leading" feel angry and annoyed. There is a good reason we stop children (male and female) from engaging in "bossy" behavior: it is not desirable or socially agreeable. It is our job to help teach our children POSITIVE social behaviors. Sorry, but leadership is not the same as bossiness.

If you were in an early childhood setting, and you see one child telling other kids what to do, all the other children listen, without complaints...would you see that as bossy, or leadership?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sarahw06219: Sorry, but I disagree. A good leader inspires people to follow, sets good examples and encourages others to participate in their plans. "Bossy" kids (male or female) generally bark orders at their peers, tell them they have to do things their way, and make the people they are "leading" feel angry and annoyed. There is a good reason we stop children (male and female) from engaging in "bossy" behavior: it is not desirable or socially agreeable. It is our job to help teach our children POSITIVE social behaviors. Sorry, but leadership is not the same as bossiness.

I agree. 

Bossy and leadership aren't the same things. Sometimes other kids go along with the bossy kids when they are young. As they get older it comes back to bite them. 

My friend's daughter has always been bossy. When she was a toddler I knew things would be hard for her when she got older, but my friend was proud that she had "a strong personality."  It all fell apart in third grade. Up until then other kids didn't mind her taking the lead. But as they become independent they didn't like being told what to do and she couldn't handle it. She's in sixth grade now and still struggling socially because of it. She has nothing remotely like leadership skills. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Quoting susan_marie:

If you were in an early childhood setting, and you see one child telling other kids what to do, all the other children listen, without complaints...would you see that as bossy, or leadership?

It depends on why the other kids are listening and how the child is giving instructions. 

sarahw06219
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting susan_marie:

It depends on why the other kids are listening and how the child is giving instructions. 

Yep, agreed.  I wouldn't even think to intervene if a child was behaving in a socially appropriate way (regardless of how their peers were responding).  

GinevraWeasley
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I always remind myself that the things that maybe drive us crazy in our toddlers and children are those things that are going to serve them well in later life. 

mumisfun4life
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Amen to that!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Love this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)