Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

BINKY BABY

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

Oh' boy! I'm never going to get  that pacifier away!!! he screams and cries for it and becomes histerical! I just can't do that to him so I give it to him. We have been trying to limit it to naps/bedtimes only but now he  calls for it by name... he is 18months and we wanted it gone by 15 months and here we are.. I'm just worried it will mess his teeth and speech up. He talk pretty well I think but I dont have anything to really compare it to so...

Was/is your child attached? how did you get it gone?!!? I'm desperate!!!! HELP!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RockinMama12
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I've heard  about Ring pops. They dissolve but idk.if they are the safest thing in the world.  Bump for more advice

lovleopards
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM
I'm in the same boat! My daughter is 27 months an I don't know how to get her off of it. She will cry an cry for her pappy (this is what she calls it)
I've tried to limit it to bed but it's like she has them hidden.
TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM

my son didn't loose the bottle and paci until he was 2. I was preggers with our dd when he was 15 months old and he was 2 1/2 months preemie so we let it go he weaned his self off both a week after his sister was born which was a month after he turned 2.

blapier
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM
My dd loved her paci. Honestly id rather her have a paci than suck on her thumb, you can toss a paci but you can't toss their toss kwim? Dd had hers until she was 2.5 and even then she wouldn't really suck on it she would just hold it. I finally took her outside and had her put it in the mailbox and I told her we were giving it to another baby to use since she (dd) was a big girl.and didn't need it. Later on I went outside and threw it away lol, she asked for it for a couple days and it was kinda rough but now no more paci:). If it bothers you about his teeth consult a dentist and see what they say. Hope this helped good luck mama!
HopesNDreams
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM
My two oldest were binky babies. One was weaned off at 18 months by cutting back to naps and bedtime, then just bedtime, then not at all. She was easy. My son, however....wow! He was really attached! It got to the point where the pediatrician said to just give it back to him because it wasn't worth the emotional and sleep problems we were having. We did cut it back to only his bed by age two. Right before his third birthday, I told him that the binky fairy sent me a letter that she had to come collect it to give to a new baby. But, if he put it in her envelope and she didn't have to search for it, she would leave him a present. He had a week to think it over and the night before his birthday put it in the envelope on his own.

Oddly enough, the child who gave up the binky FIRST is the one who had some speech issues. Both have excellent vocabulary and communication abilities - the binky didn't stop either from talking.
SCL_HF
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM

We did the same thing with keeping it only for naps and bed time. I don't, honestly, remember what age we finally stopped giving it to him. I do remember that we started focusing on other things that he was sleeping with. He has three stuffed animals that always sleep with him and we would just tell him that he didn't need his binky because his friends were there to stay with him through the night. We only had one rough night but it didn't last for very long. Now he has his 3 sleeping buddies and no binky. :)

Maybe ask your dentist? I bet they have bunch of tips since it's important to their field. :)

Good luck Momma!

937mrsweaver
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Thank you everyone!!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I've been there. I said I never would be, but I was. 

We very gradually got rid of it.  We cut back to only nighttime and naps around 18 months, but it was a while before we got rid of it all together. Nighttime took several nights of little sleep before it was gone. 

I will tell every new mother to throw them away for the rest of my life!!!  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Quoting RockinMama12:

I've heard  about Ring pops. They dissolve but idk.if they are the safest thing in the world.  Bump for more advice

You mean giving a Ring Pop in place of the binky? That seems like a terrible idea. 

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:22 PM

My 12month old is the only one out of my kids that ever took a pacifier. He will not be getting rid of it anytime soon though.  Due to sucking issues his therapist is recommending we not even try to get rid of it. Dang kid can suck for hours on a paci but cant suck with a darn out of a bottle without choking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)