Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Brushing one and a half yr olds teeth

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM
  • 23 Replies
I need help ! I'm failing with my tooth brushing techniques my daughter haaaates it..what worked for u moms??? Would appreciate ur input soooo much. Thankyou
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippoCat
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm failing with mine too! I don't know what you are supposed to do other than keep on trying.

maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

When my kids were that age I would bring the tooth brush to the family room and brush while they watched TV. If they didn't let me burst the TV was off. I would bring a washcloth for them to spit in. The TV distracted them enough that I could get a good brushing in. 

leila11
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Hahahaha thanks for your honesty !!!!! Xxxxxx

Quoting HippoCat:

I'm failing with mine too! I don't know what you are supposed to do other than keep on trying.

SCL_HF
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

We let DS pick his toothbrush and "brush" his own teeth the first few days. Then we slowly transitioned it to mom and dad "helping" because there was "a lot teeth to clean". lol Worked great and now DS has a super soft bristled spin brush that he loves!

squeakers2
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My son likes to brush his own teeth, which is actually just him chewing on his tooth brush. I brush them first, then let him do it. My daughter liked to do the same at his age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
olivejuice2
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
We do that too.

I also give her my toothbrush and let her "brush" my teeth while I brush hers. It worked really well for a while but she's kind of over that now so I'm probably going to have to think of something else soon.

Quoting squeakers2: My son likes to brush his own teeth, which is actually just him chewing on his tooth brush. I brush them first, then let him do it. My daughter liked to do the same at his age.
dewitte011
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM
I let my son "brush" his own then afterwards I do it for him
crystalplus1
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I used to have have to hold him down.....Arms under my thighs.....And brush while he screamed. Now he will do it himself and then let me finish. lol

susan_marie
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I have always let them do it first, and then let them know its your turn to brush their teeth. And then the same with you. Let them brush your teeth, then you have a turn. That has worked for me.

NGaither
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey there. I sing the ABC song twice. That works for me. However, letting them do it themselves at first, and then slowly accepting the help from Mom and Dad is a good idea, too. Yeah, try the TV method. (Or, in our case, the Netflix method! ha!) I hope it gets better!!! 

Nat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN