Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - Cancer Survivors or Currently Battling

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

My book club is putting together a bag for a gal here in town who is fighting colon cancer that has spread to her lungs. We want the bag to contain comforting things and things she can take along to treatments and such (possibly even a kindle, so she can read while she's waiting). Some ideas are gas cards, other gift cards, nice lotion, etc.

With her particular treatment, she shouldn't be losing hair, so she won't need scarves and such, but I'm wondering... what symptoms might she be experiencing and is there something we can give her to help? For example, if she will be experiencing nausea, we could get ginger tea or peppermints--something that helps soothe the stomach.

I don't know her personally, nor do I have experience with this myself. So I'm turning to you mamas for ideas!! Help me come up with something that will prove useful and comforting during her battle.

Thanks in advance!! :)

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SCL_HF
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any experience with this either but here's a BUMP!

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM

My husband is a cancer survivor, I would say if you do the lotion please make it unsencted. Smells can triger the need to get sich :(. My husbands doctors office even goes as far as to ask that if you come in to the office that you dont wear any scents like perfume smelly lotions and cologne.  Candy Ginger was my husbands favorite during chemo and a neck pillow too. gas cards are nice bc traveling for treatments doc visits and such it all adds up quick. 

sophiesmom07
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I'm not too familiar, but thinking back to morning sickness, how about ginger candy? I think what you're doing is great , btw. ;)

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I was wondering about that. I know some of the girls already bought some lotion... I'll have to see what kind it is and gently suggest a replacement if it's scented. (I don't even like smelly lotions and perfumes and I'm healthy).

I like the neck pillow idea and I don't think anyone's gotten one of those yet. I'll pick up the ginger candy, too. Thanks for the help!! :)

Quoting KelliansMom:

My husband is a cancer survivor, I would say if you do the lotion please make it unsencted. Smells can triger the need to get sich :(. My husbands doctors office even goes as far as to ask that if you come in to the office that you dont wear any scents like perfume smelly lotions and cologne.  Candy Ginger was my husbands favorite during chemo and a neck pillow too. gas cards are nice bc traveling for treatments doc visits and such it all adds up quick. 

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Thanks! I love ginger candy--will definitely get some of that!! :)

Quoting sophiesmom07:

I'm not too familiar, but thinking back to morning sickness, how about ginger candy? I think what you're doing is great , btw. ;)

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I don't have anything to offer but I think it's great you guys are doing that. here's a bump!

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Thanks, Angie! It's one of the things I love about my small town... people really have each other's backs when it counts the most. :)

Quoting .Angelica.:

I don't have anything to offer but I think it's great you guys are doing that. here's a bump!

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I kind of wish I lived in a small town. I think it would suit me much better than the city.

Quoting RobynS:

Thanks, Angie! It's one of the things I love about my small town... people really have each other's backs when it counts the most. :)

Quoting .Angelica.:

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Cities have their advantages (I miss Trader Joe's!!!), but I grew up in a small town, so being back in a small town, it just feels like "home."

Quoting .Angelica.:

I kind of wish I lived in a small town. I think it would suit me much better than the city.

Quoting RobynS:

Quoting .Angelica.:

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Luckily, I live in a large city, but it's not a "big" city. we don't have skyscrapers and all that. Portland is the closest "big city" to us. Though Vancouver is the 4th largest city in Washington by population.

Quoting RobynS:

Cities have their advantages (I miss Trader Joe's!!!), but I grew up in a small town, so being back in a small town, it just feels like "home."

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting RobynS:

Quoting .Angelica.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)