Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training question

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
Dd 2 and half has just caught on to the potty thing! She wears panties all day and goes on the big toilet without having to be told. I'm excited! But when we leave the house it's a whole different story.. she won't use other toilets. . Even at her grannies houses she will seldom use their bathrooms.. how do you get them to go away from home and also how do you get them to tell you hey I gotta go.. she doesn't do that either.. thanks!
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Its_kay_10
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My three and a half year old doesnt tell me either so I'm no help with that. Have you tried showing her that mommy goes on the potty when out. She could be scared because its not "her" toilet.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I just always gave them the time they needed. I know not having the comfort of your home can be scary. When we go we just talk about us going and will bring them with us and show them how we do it and it's ok.

gingermommy86
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM
Yeah she sees me go.. I guess it just takes time! Thanks!
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

huh, not sure.  my kids never had any issues going from home to public/other people's homes.  typically when we were out somewhere i made sure to take them if it had been 30 mins or more since they last went and then, again, before we left wherever we were.  they always told me if they had to go between those times though.

iansmommy9
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Luckily we didn't have that problem.  Maybe just ask her if she has to go. You might need to try to use grandma's potty so she sees it's OK.

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

usually if my kids don't tell me they need to go, I will just bring them after so long.

mem82
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybeget one of those 'folding' potty seats and take it with you. She might not mind as long as she is using her own seat.

Gonzo318
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
We do this. The folding seats are perfect

Quoting mem82:

Maybeget one of those 'folding' potty seats and take it with you. She might not mind as long as she is using her own seat.

MommyOfOnee
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD is 2 and we started potty training about a month before her second birthday. She got it 100% in 3 days, no accidents, always went on the potty for 1*2, did awesome. But she did the same thing when we would go out. We use a potty chair/seat thingy, not the big toliet, and we brought it everywhere with us and would try and try and she just wouldn't go.
One day I went out with her by myself and kept telling myself not to even mention the potty because I thought maybe I was making too big of a deal out of it. Like I would get all excited and Was all "let's go potty" in a really excited voice and to be honest I wasn't doing that at home after the first three days, I would get all excited and clap afterwards but not really before. And sure enough she told me "potty quick" and I just grabbed her potty, told her to hold on and we were almost there, set it up in the stall and she said "help mommy" so I helped her get her pants down and she went no problem! And its been that way ever since. So maybe just don't remind her too much, or make too big a deal about it, and see if she tells you she needs to go? My DD did have a few accidents the third day of training because we went to my MILs and that's when we realized she did not want to go out of the house. But after that she held it every time we would go out (short trips) and than once I stopped freaking her out Lol she did amazing. That day that she started going when we were out I did remind her to tell me, but only once or twice and in a really calm mellow voice. I didn't want her to forget about needing to go, because she was in undies also and accidents are not fun for her, she gets very upset for some reason-we don't punish her for accidents at all but she must just not like the feeling, because when we were at MILs the only place&time she's ever had an accident, she freaked out when she did.
But anyway good luck and keep us posted!! I should add her not going when we left the house lasted for about a week and a half to two weeks. It was stressful and I was so worried she was never going to get used to going while out but she did, I think me calming down and not making a big deal really was the key! Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)