Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: My daughter will not sleep in her own room/bed...

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter will not sleep in her own room/ bed we have tried sleeping next to her bed in her room and she slept on me the entire night. She won't stay put for more than a second on her bed which makes leaving her in there difficult. She will cry for hours on end if we try closing the door. Help!

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM

How old?  When we went through this phase we told DS where we would be in the house (mommy and daddy are going to be in the family room and then we will be in our bed for night night.  If you get scared, you can come get us, but I think you're a big boy).  He rarely ever got up and came to our room.

Do you have a night light in the room? Sometimes they get scared of the dark. You also might try some white noise.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM

how old is she?

personally, i would not spend a chunk of my night sleeping next to my child but that's just me.  if it works for you and is the path of least resistance then that's something you have to decide for yourself.

if it were me, i would never leave her in there crying for hours on end BUT i also wouldn't lay next to her until she's asleep.  i would continue to go in every 5 mins or so (depending on how upset she is) and comfort her there.  i would stay for 1-2 mins and then leave again.  extending time between going in as she starts to calm down.

Charliemom12
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:43 PM

She is almost 2 and we have not left her for hours except for once when she was about 12 mos and I had to do chores so I put her in her pack and play in the livingroom while I got things done and she cried the full 3 hours I was doing things even though she could see me. More recently we tried to get her to sleep in her room and after 10 mins of crying we realized there would be no end to it so we took her back to our room.

Charliemom12
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:45 PM

She has multiple night lights and always play her violet puppy's nighttime music but she is hard of hearing so unless it's really loud I doubt it helps.

Quoting iansmommy9:

How old?  When we went through this phase we told DS where we would be in the house (mommy and daddy are going to be in the family room and then we will be in our bed for night night.  If you get scared, you can come get us, but I think you're a big boy).  He rarely ever got up and came to our room.

Do you have a night light in the room? Sometimes they get scared of the dark. You also might try some white noise.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you think it could have something to do with her hearing?  Maybe she's scared or feels vulnerable without you guys being around.  I've always believed kids have an innate senses.  We have a small radio/cd player in DS's room.  You could at least adjust the volume to play lullabies or something.

Quoting Charliemom12:

She has multiple night lights and always play her violet puppy's nighttime music but she is hard of hearing so unless it's really loud I doubt it helps.

Quoting iansmommy9:

Charliemom12
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM

She has a history of night terrors and still wakes up screaming sometimes from nightmares, but I think it's time she moves out for all of our sanity.

Quoting iansmommy9:

Do you think it could have something to do with her hearing?  Maybe she's scared or feels vulnerable without you guys being around.  I've always believed kids have an innate senses.  We have a small radio/cd player in DS's room.  You could at least adjust the volume to play lullabies or something.

Quoting Charliemom12:

Quoting iansmommy9:

maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM

We never shut our kids doors. She might feel more secure if she can hear you are still there. 

M0M0F3B0YS82
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Did she always sleep alone? Seems like she doesn't want to be away from y'all especially if she's use to you being right there all the time
mariesmama
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

it sounds to me like her lack of hearing might be interfereing with how safe she feels. do you use sign language?

Charliemom12
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:18 PM

We used to live with my mom and had to share a room so this is her first time having her own room. We have tried leaving it open and closed and tried lying in and next to her bed...we use both sign language and spoken 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN