Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM
  • 4 Replies
I have a 4 year old who is going through a jealousy faze. I had a baby 6 weeks ago. I want to take her places and do special things with her but she won't stop acting out. She doesn't listen, she talks back and today she cut her hair. I'm lost any moms been through this before?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MyNameIs-
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Awww, that sucks!! Can you involve her with the baby? My dd was happy to be Mommy's helper so she wasn't that jealous. And while baby napped, I made sure to have some extra one on one time with her. It's a big transition for a little one and they don't really know how to process it. But she'll get through it.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Take her out anyway. Use that time to talk to her.
mom2be2013397
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Thanks I didn't think of it that way.

Quoting Retrokitty: Take her out anyway. Use that time to talk to her.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Kids act out for a reason. Studies show that of you find the reason and work on that, instead of punishing the behaviour- kids end up acting much better.
Like for example of a kid hits- the reason behind the behaviour is that they don't know how to properly control their emotions. If Instead of punishing the behaviour you help them find other coping strategies, such as hitting a pillow, they are much more likely to behave better next time.
In your case your daughter is acting out for attention- if you give her attention rather than punishing the behaviour, you are more likely to get a better behaved kid. I would also go on and maybe work on some strageties with her to handle her jealousy.
Ask her questions like "do you get mad when mommy is spending time with the baby"
"How does that make you feel inside"
"What do you do when you feel that way?"
"How can you react different next time"

Kids aren't born knowing how to critically think like that. Asking them questions like that is the best way to get them to think like that. Then next time they will be more likely to think enforce they act.

Quoting mom2be2013397: Thanks I didn't think of it that way.

Quoting Retrokitty: Take her out anyway. Use that time to talk to her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)