Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

4 year old in a backless booster

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this
What are your opinions on a 4 year old in a backless booster seat he's 45 pounds and 42 inches tall.... Just looking for opinions because we were in a friends car well we never got in cause all she had was a backless booster and I wasn't sure about it
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this
http://csftl.org/harness-or-booster-when-to-make-the-switch
i've never met a 4 year old who was mature enough to sit properly in a booster seat for more than a couple minutes.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Why couldn't you just put your seat in her vehicle?
sjoshea
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM

My DS is 4.5 y/o.  Until 1 month ago, my DS was in a 5 pt harness car seat in three cars (the weight limit is up to 70 lbs).  We just hired a new babysitter so my DH gave her his car seat and we purchased a backless booster seat for his car.  I know my DH is a safe driver and only drives my DS to school 2 days a week and about 10 mins from our house. 

My DS fits comfortably in his new booster seat; your DS is bigger (height/weight) than my DS so I think he would be fine.  For me, I (and our nanny/sitter) drive him around A LOT so I am more comfortable keeping him in his 5 pt harness car seat b/c I feel he is safer.

mem82
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM

My four year old sometimes sits in one but e just upgraded his 5 pt harness to high back booster. He's taller than your son, though.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM
No way. I also wouldn't put my child in that car if he was 4 (he is almost 3 now). We are planning on keeping him in a harness for awhile - his current seat goes up to 70 pounds in a harness, up to 120 pounds as a booster with a back.
Jenningsmommy
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

my husband had it

Quoting emkirkley: Why couldn't you just put your seat in her vehicle?

squeakers2
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM
I would not feel comfortable with it unless I knew they could sit right 100% of the time they were in the seat. No wiggling, no moving the belt, etc. I've had to put my 4 yr old daughter in a booster maybe 2 times when there was no other option. Both times were for drs appointments. She has heard me telling her older brother how to sit in a booster many of times and sat exactly how she was supposed to. I know her, if she was to sit longer than 20 minutes, she would probably not be as good. Even when we do approach putting her in a booster, it'll be a high back booster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
omm76002
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

120 pounds?!?! Thats a bit much imo. I was 5'6 and weight 110 when I was 19 after having a baby and getting some baby weight on me. Why does an adult sized child need to be in a booster seat?!

Quoting collinsmommy0: No way. I also wouldn't put my child in that car if he was 4 (he is almost 3 now). We are planning on keeping him in a harness for awhile - his current seat goes up to 70 pounds in a harness, up to 120 pounds as a booster with a back.

M0M0F3B0YS82
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Eh I'm the horrible parent but I did with my 4yr old, just beware to get backlash about this touchy subject lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theosgirl45
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I wouldn't.  My DD will be 6 in June and she is still in a high back booster.  She is 48inches tall and 52 pounds.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)