Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Graco recalled an additional 403,000 child seats.....

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:18 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just wanted to share this with the moms who may have any of these graco seats. They were all recalled for faulty buckles and Graco refuses to recall the infant seats that have the same buckle stating that they are used differently than a toddler seat. Please make sure if any of you have any of these seats to get a new one.

Last month they recalled 3.8 million seats...The recalled models include Cozy Cline, Comfort Sport, Classic Ride 50, My Ride 65, My Ride with Safety Surround, My Ride 70, Size 4 Me 70, Smartseat, Nautilus, Nautilus Elite and Argos 70.

This month they recalled an additional 403,000, which are Argos 70 Elite, Ready Ride, Step 2, My Ride 65 with Safety Surround, My Size 70, Head Wise 70 with Safety Surround, Nautilus 3-in-1, Nautilus Plus, and Smart Seat with Safety Surround.

Here's an article for anyone that wants to read up on it:

http://www.kpho.com/story/24963690/graco-adds-more-than-403000-child-seats-to-recall

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sophiesmom07
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Wow, thanks for sharing.

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM
4 moms liked this
You don't need a NEW seat. You can request the different buckle per Graco. And, the recall happened due to food and drink getting stuck inside the buckle causing it to stick, in some instances causingbparents to have to cut the straps to remove the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little.worthen
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Yeah this happened to me. He was stuck in the car seat for like 20 minutes. We luckily got him out and had to put the buckle in boiling water to get the crap out.. No more eating and drinking in that car seat..

Quoting Ktina11: You don't need a NEW seat. You can request the different buckle per Graco. And, the recall happened due to food and drink getting stuck inside the buckle causing it to stick, in some instances causingbparents to have to cut the straps to remove the child.
proudmommy690
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I requested new buckles. In the email it state's that "This recall does not impact the performance of your seat or its effectiveness in restraining your child." So they can still be used.
HopesNDreams
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:18 AM
From what I have heard, people who have never allowed food or drinks near the buckles are also reporting the issue. Cleaning food/drink residue from the buckle, as per Graco's instruction until you get your replacement, is also not always resolving the issue. It's also not, as you said, any need for a new seat.

My cousin posted a huge thing on her Facebook page last night about how can she even drive her son around knowing he is not 100% safe!!! She's dramatic, to say the least. I pointed out that the issue was that his seat would keep him IN and he was as safe as he ever was in it and her best solution was to safely store shears in case she had to cut him out in case she had to get him out before emergency responders arrived! She replied she had always intended to get that tool that could break car windows and cut seat belt straps - now she would just have to! SMH.

Quoting Ktina11: You don't need a NEW seat. You can request the different buckle per Graco. And, the recall happened due to food and drink getting stuck inside the buckle causing it to stick, in some instances causingbparents to have to cut the straps to remove the child.
mem82
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I need to go check my son's new seat.

Prplesockmonkey
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
They recalled the buckle system because food and drink makes it sticky, they are sending new replacement buckles with a new design to anybody who has a registered graco toddler seat! Good god! Why is this so hard to understand?

They aren't recalling infant seats because they aren't eating and drinking in their seat, or at least they shouldn't be!
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Thanks I need to Jacob carseat when dad gets home tonight.
KayelynnsMama
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

That was Graco's excuse. People have been trying to get these buckles recalled for YEARS. My daughter's buckle was impossible to undo from the day we got it. Graco said it was just tension from being new, and it would get easier. A year later, after NEVER eating or drinking in her seat, my DD got stuck in her seat and we had to cut her out. This was before the recall. 

KayelynnsMama
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

The food and drinks are just an excuse. People have been trying to get these buckles recalled for years. Ours was impossible to undo from the first day we go it. Graco said it was just hard because it was new, and that it would get easier. A year later, my DD got stuck in her seat and we had to cut her out. This was before the recall happened.  And for the record, my daughter had never had anything to eat or drink in her seat, not even water. 

People are having the same issues with the infant seats, and even the government has give Graco a time limit for a better explanation of why they aren't recalling the infant seats because they aren't happy with the food and drink excuse either.

Sorry for writing a book, lol.

Quoting Prplesockmonkey: They recalled the buckle system because food and drink makes it sticky, they are sending new replacement buckles with a new design to anybody who has a registered graco toddler seat! Good god! Why is this so hard to understand? They aren't recalling infant seats because they aren't eating and drinking in their seat, or at least they shouldn't be!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN