Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

*update* She hates swimming lessons but it's part of her preschool....

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
  • 35 Replies
* first I would like to thank the understanding and helpful parents on here and leave it at that.

*second I spoke with her teachers again and others who work at the program and came to a resolution. They are going to allow her to work at her own pace and quit shoving a "skill" down her throat. Hoping this helps a bit.

My 4.5 year old started a new preschool this year at our local YMCA. On Monday and Wednesday they swim for an hour. The last couple months she has been fighting me every single day to get to school. She won't get dressed, won't wear her swim suit, won't brush her teeth, etc anytning to not get ready. Then when it's time to go she will rip her clothes off again, scream cry throw a huge fit. She is missing almost every Wednesday now because I can't even get her out the door! Mondays dh is home so he can just take her alone ( I have a 2 year old and newly pregnant with number 3). I talked to her teachers and they said she hates swimming and going under water but she has to learn. I talked to her and she said the same she hates swimming and she's scared. Last year she went a half a year to a local church preschool and she loved it. Every day she was excited toattattend, she talked all day about what she did etc. It's like night and day. I'm torn on what to do. I don't want her growing up thinking that she can just quit something because she doesn'tllike it but I also don't want her being traumatized over something. ...
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Why are they making her go under?

I'm not a fan of forcing a child to go under water. My son is almost 3 & scared of the pool. We just play on the stairs until he's comfortable.

If my child was in swim lessons and that upset by it I would stop the swim lessons (or tell the instructor to back off a bit)
LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM

What do her teachers recommend?  Have you explained how much trouble you are having with her?  Could they let her sit on the side of the pool and watch for a few days, then maybe sit on the side with her feet in and work up slowly.  Did something happen that she is so afraid of the water?

mem82
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Something needs to change. Is she scared when her dad takes her? Does she not like being in the water without an adult?

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM
That's how i feel. I sent her teacher an email the other day and she told me that they are trying to work with her but she doesn't enjoy it. It's an essential part of learning to swim according to them. I don't know how to swim so i dont have any idea what the lessons are supposed to consist of lol

Quoting collinsmommy0: Why are they making her go under?

I'm not a fan of forcing a child to go under water. My son is almost 3 & scared of the pool. We just play on the stairs until he's comfortable.

If my child was in swim lessons and that upset by it I would stop the swim lessons (or tell the instructor to back off a bit)
addiesmommy1109
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM
They want to keep working with her. I sent them an email and told them what is going on and that's when i learned that she isn't excelling in class. At school last year if she struggled in an area or had a bad day or whatever the teachers told me that day. This year I feel so unaware.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

What do her teachers recommend?  Have you explained how much trouble you are having with her?  Could they let her sit on the side of the pool and watch for a few days, then maybe sit on the side with her feet in and work up slowly.  Did something happen that she is so afraid of the water?

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Yes she acts this way when her dad takes her too. She is in the water with her other classmates and 4 other teachers. I've stayed and watched a few times and she doesn't pay attention and wants to wave at me and etc so i haven't been going anymore.

Quoting mem82:

Something needs to change. Is she scared when her dad takes her? Does she not like being in the water without an adult?

LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I know the teachers are really busy at pick up and drop off, but make an effort to really talk to them each day if they are not making the effort to talk with you. 

Is she having trouble in other classes, or just swim?  Is she afraid of "failure" or not doing well in front of her classmates?

Explain to her that the teachers are working on teaching her how to swim so she can be safe around water.  Help her in the bathtub to put her face/head in.  Maybe you or your husband can have one-on-one "dates" with her on the weekends and take her where she can swim while you are holding her.

Has she always been scared of the water or is this something new? 

Don't forget to praise her every time she does go to school/get dressed nicely and thank her for being such a "big girl" (whatever key word makes her feel special).

Quoting addiesmommy1109: They want to keep working with her. I sent them an email and told them what is going on and that's when i learned that she isn't excelling in class. At school last year if she struggled in an area or had a bad day or whatever the teachers told me that day. This year I feel so unaware.
Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM
I would send her right back to the church preschool. I don't believe in forcing a kid to go under water until they are ready. I wouldn't send my kid to something he didn't enjoy. You're traumatizing her further by forcing her to go and letting them make her do something she is scared of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
addiesmommy1109
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM
I've asked them before if there is issues and they say no. Being scared of the water has been an all life thing. It's the reason why i started her at this school because i wanted her to take the lessons. When we would go swimming at families homes or we went to a water park in January and she hated it. Refused to do anything other than splash.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

I know the teachers are really busy at pick up and drop off, but make an effort to really talk to them each day if they are not making the effort to talk with you. 

Is she having trouble in other classes, or just swim?  Is she afraid of "failure" or not doing well in front of her classmates?

Explain to her that the teachers are working on teaching her how to swim so she can be safe around water.  Help her in the bathtub to put her face/head in.  Maybe you or your husband can have one-on-one "dates" with her on the weekends and take her where she can swim while you are holding her.

Has she always been scared of the water or is this something new? 

Don't forget to praise her every time she does go to school/get dressed nicely and thank her for being such a "big girl" (whatever key word makes her feel special).

Quoting addiesmommy1109: They want to keep working with her. I sent them an email and told them what is going on and that's when i learned that she isn't excelling in class. At school last year if she struggled in an area or had a bad day or whatever the teachers told me that day. This year I feel so unaware.
Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM
And that's my biggest concern is forcing her to keep doing something she feels so strongly about. I don't want water to always be a negative in her life.

Quoting Jenn8604: I would send her right back to the church preschool. I don't believe in forcing a kid to go under water until they are ready. I wouldn't send my kid to something he didn't enjoy. You're traumatizing her further by forcing her to go and letting them make her do something she is scared of.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN