Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Okay ladies I need some potty training help please???

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay y'all here's some background on my little boy and me.

1. He is the first child I have EVER had to potty train and while I have read up on it none of it really makes sense to me for some reason.

2. On April 2 he will turn 2. --> He is already pulling off his diapers and saying "ewww nasshy" so I know he knows that its not suppose to happen in there. He has also sat on the potty we have for him and peed multiple times but no bowel movements.

3. He is in daycare and my husband has him on his days off. I'm thinking about getting him on a timed schedule where we take him to the bathroom right then? What do yall think?

Any ideas you could give me would be apprecated :)

How did you teach your little boys?

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM

2 is VERY young for boys. Most boys train between 3 and 3.5.   Having a BM in the potty usually takes longer for most kids--it's getting used to a new position and it's scary. Going on a timed schedule is a good idea. 

Give him time and encourage him.  Read books to him.  Make it a positive experience. Don't yell at him if he has an accident.  Don't make it a power struggle.

jennibun86
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:51 AM

my son is 3 and he is fully potty trained!! Less liquids at night before bedtime and keep pressuring him throughout the day to go to the pot

143myboys9496
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Try a smaller sized potty, less intimidating. I had a potty, and the seat part snapped onto the regular toilet, and had a (the cutest) little 'shield'..it was like a cup that covers their penis so they don't urinate on the walls. 

My suggestion, would be to train him sitting down, he'll learn standing up soon after. For the standing part, you can put Cheerios in the toilet water and have me aim for them. He'll want to follow dad to the men's room. Also, have him sit on the potty every night before YOU go to bed. He will probably wake up dry. 

Be patient, and don't make a big deal out of accidents. They happen. He'll get it.

Good luck.

jcpeters0320
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:02 AM

HE lol
You've probably got almost another two years before he's potty trained.
Mine is almost 5 and still has at least five accidents a week.
He wasn't fully potty trained until four and I started when he was 2. 

ElenaC08
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:04 AM
My mom told me she got my brother to potty train by putting a cheerio in the toilet and told him to aim for the cheerio lol he did it worked.
cats911
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I trained my three,  I did 17 years of daycare, I trained MANY.  Here is what I did.

1.  Put them in a long t shirt to cover private area

2.  Take away diapers and panties and underpants

3.  Put potty chair in kitchen or other area where there is tile and EXTREMELY easy to get to.  Remember it is only temporary, before you say YUCK.

4.  Know there will be accidents.

5.  Reason for no underpants--THEY HATE IT running down their legs.  This gives them an extra incentive to get to to potty chair.

6.  BRIBERY, I used a clear peanut butter jar with a bag of m and ms.  If I could get the toilet paper wet by wiping them, they got a piece of candy.  This trains them to start and stop, because they want the candy.  It also makes them willing to sit there and work at it, again teaching them to stop and start.

7.  T shirt makes it easy for them to run to the potty chair and pull the shirt up, kids do not have time to make it to the potty fast enough when the urge hits them, this makes it easy for them.

8.  Start by putting them on the potty every 15 minutes, then after they start going, you can stretch it by 5 minutes at a time each time they are successful, also make sure you reward them by the toilet paper being wet when wiping.

9.  YOU have to stay constant on it, YOU need to stay home, no shopping, running around, have your husband do it.  YOU are stuck at home.  If in daycare, make sure the daycare provider is using the same system.  Just tell them it works.  It does.

10. After 3 days, you should start seeing success.  If they are NOT trained by the end of the week, the CHILD is not ready to be potty trained.  Sorry.  Wait a few months, and then start again.

11.  Now, at the end of the week, your child is trained, BUT now you have the next MONTH to reinforce it.  Keep the potty chair accessible.  After the child can independently run to the bathroom, while you are keeping the panties off, they are going to want to go POOP.  Keep telling them, run to the potty.  Once they are relieved in the potty, they get it.  MAKE a BIG deal of it, and they get 2 pieces of candy. 

12. PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE, BRIBE, BRIBE, BRIBE.

13.  Once they are trained, they are still wanting the candy.  Put an amount of candy in it, and start telling them, that they are big kids now, and when the candy is all gone, the candy is all gone but they are still going to have to potty in the potty chair.  Tell them EVERY TIME they get a piece of candy now, so that it is in their heads about the end of the candy jar, and the fact that they are now big kids, and that they still go potty.  Tell them NOW they will go buy pretty panties, big girl, big boy, panties.  Make that the next big goal.

14.  Now, go buy them with the child.

15.  Enjoy a potty trained child.  Your NEXT big goal now?  Learn where every bathroom is in every store, they will need to go.  Remember, they are just potty trained, and still cannot hold it for long periods of time.

16.  Bedtime--it will come, just keep putting diapers or pullups on them, praise them if they are dry in the mornings, make a big deal of it.  MOST kids are usually done within a month or two of the nighttime diapers.

17.  THIS METHOD WORKS, USE IT!!!!!  ENJOY.

z4809
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 3:45 PM

My best advise. I am an early childcare educator in a toddler and twos classroom. Currently have 8 of my 14 kids in undies and training or done training, all of them sit on the toilet and almost always pee. Even the 15 month olds. Yes boys take longer to train. Its also about brain development not just muscle control.

what you can do for him. 

-have lots of undies and shorts/pants on hand. He will have accidents and that's ok. It's part of the learning proses. 

-never ever ever let him see you get disguraged or mad about accidents even if they are only minuets apart and on your carpet! Get a hand held bissle carpet cleaner

you need lots and lots of consistence. Don't go back and forth from undies to diapers all day. Use diapers for sleeping. And for car rides and trips out at first. Then start timing you trips around bathroom breaks. Know where the bathrooms are at places:)

-be positive. And re assure him. 

-have him assist with all bathrooming skills. Pulling down pants. Pulling a leg out of pants for better aim. And when there is an accident have him undress and redress himself. Using one step at a time verbal instructions. "First take off your shoes" when he dose that then say "now pull down your pants and take them off" and so on till he's changed.  This step will come with time. You will need to show him part of it. 

-reward systems are your own preference but don't make them to elaborate or unattainable. And be sure it's a reward you will fallow through with! The best are ones they receive immiedeatly. Like one m&m or one smartie. 

-bm's are tricky.... They take more time and watch for clues. If you see him starting to go pick him up and have him finish in the toilet. 

-oh and cleaning himself up after a bm accident isn't part of the have home clean himself. I did however make May 4.5 yr old clean himself after countless bm accidents and he hated it and stopped havering the accident. 

Good luck! You can pm me if you have more questions

kpayne5433
by New Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Thanks you guys all of these are great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)