Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty training the toilet/potty refusing kid - help!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:47 AM
  • 14 Replies
Ok so I know it sounds crazy but I have to ask if any of you size ladies have some helpful advice.

Junior has decided (since Wednesday) that he is NOT, under any circumstances, wearing a diaper/pull-ups. Ain't happening. He'll scream and run away and hide the pull-ups. He wants undies or just pajama pants.the only time I can get him to wear a diaper is if I sneak in and put one on at night when he's asleep.

We're taking this as a sign that he is ready to be potty trained.

Only problem is.

He does NOT want to sit on a potty for any period of time and does not want to sit on the toilet if the lid is up. ( we have one of those kid inserts)

Anyone got any bright ideas? Suggestions?
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Here's a bump.

My 2-1/2yr refuses to potty train too. She wants to still be a baby and wear diapers she says. I think it has to do with her baby sister, who is 13mon, and requires a lot of attention because of a health issue.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Hmm, tough one. My kids never fought it. Usually my response is that if he's not willing, he's not ready. I guess I would just let him pee on himself for a while, arm yourself with lots of cleaner and try to find something he'll sit for: suckers, small candy, extra TV, etc... The only time I have ever bribed my kids is for potty training, lol. Short term tactic, long term gain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
at82
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:22 AM

yeah but seriously, I'm like a day or two away from going and buying the biggest bag of skittles i can get my hands on to bribe him hahaha.

I assumed that he wasnt ready and then all of a sudden he refused to wear diapers anymore...and...as an extra "bonus" he'll only wear two out of the like 15 undies he has....so it's me....handwashing and the hairdryer (since we live in an apartment complex without our own washer and dryer)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: Hmm, tough one. My kids never fought it. Usually my response is that if he's not willing, he's not ready. I guess I would just let him pee on himself for a while, arm yourself with lots of cleaner and try to find something he'll sit for: suckers, small candy, extra TV, etc... The only time I have ever bribed my kids is for potty training, lol. Short term tactic, long term gain.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this
What about a little potty? DS peed in that for awhile before sitting on the potty with a kid-seat on top.

I definitely go with candy. I used jelly beans for while, now DS is almost 3 & he gets a sticker on a chart when he's pees & one for washing his hands (after 20 he gets to watch a TV show).
ladybugchar
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm afraid I'm not much help. My 3 year old had it down and now is refusing to go. He just decided it isn't worth it. As soon as we are done with this tummy bug I plan on bribing with m&m's again.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I just let my kids run around in just a shirt with a potty chair near by. they didn't like being made to sit on the potty if they didn't want to. so this worked and they would just take themselves when they needed to go.

LML1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM

what does he think when he pees in his pj's and walking around kn wet pj's.

at82
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:55 AM
HE SAT DOWN!!!!!! sure it was after doing the deed and he wasn't happy about it but he sat down as soon as I grabbed the potty and stayed for a whole like 20 seconds! Wohooooo!!!! Cheese doodles for the win! (It was all I had at home lol) Maybe we're finally on the right track now?
at82
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:56 AM
He finally sat down today so I'm hoping the little potty is the answer. It was weird. We introduced it like a year ago and he loved it and would wath tv sitting on it but had no interest in potty training. Now it's the opposite. But I'm hoping this is a sign that things are progressing!

Quoting collinsmommy0: What about a little potty? DS peed in that for awhile before sitting on the potty with a kid-seat on top.

I definitely go with candy. I used jelly beans for while, now DS is almost 3 & he gets a sticker on a chart when he's pees & one for washing his hands (after 20 he gets to watch a TV show).
at82
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:59 AM
Honestly, the first two days it didn't seem to bother him at all that he got wet. Then last night he finally started taking his pants or undies (whatever he was wearing) off as soon as he had peed so in hoooooping he's starting to figure things out now

Quoting LML1:

what does he think when he pees in his pj's and walking around kn wet pj's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)