Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How do you handle "talking back" from your LOs?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM
  • 29 Replies

I was watching a video about a little boy talking back to his mom that some people are calling cute.  I don't think there is anything cute about it.  I definitely don't find it amusing when my dd has done it.  

How do you prevent or handle your kids talking back to you? Share your tips! 

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM
4 moms liked this

If I get a disrespectful response from my kids I usually stop what I'm doing, look them dead in the eye and either firmly say "Excuse me?" or "Try again".  That's all it takes for a change in their tone.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you talking about the little boy that wanted cupcakes or something and calling his mom by her first name? I didn't think that video was very cute either.

littobutterfly
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I just give her "the look", and talk to her like shes an adult. I say, "Would you like it if momma talked to you that way...." or "Now that isn't nice now is it?" She usually feels bad and starts to act right. Sometimes she'll cry cause she knows it's wrong.

littobutterfly
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Lol the one that said, "Linda, Linda, look it honey."

Quoting .Angelica.:

Are you talking about the little boy that wanted cupcakes or something and calling his mom by her first name? I didn't think that video was very cute either.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM

yeah, that one. LOL

Quoting littobutterfly:

Lol the one that said, "Linda, Linda, look it honey."

Quoting .Angelica.:

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Quoting .Angelica.:

Yeah, a friend told me it was funny.   I found it annoying!  I would never go back and forth with my kids that long.  No is no.  

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting littobutterfly:

I just give her "the look", and talk to her like shes an adult. I say, "Would you like it if momma talked to you that way...." or "Now that isn't nice now is it?" She usually feels bad and starts to act right. Sometimes she'll cry cause she knows it's wrong.

That's good. She knows when she is wrong. My dd starts to cry sometimes too, out of guilt. 

butzi
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Idk I just don't think I want to get into a battle with a little one. I make sure I speak to her respectfully, and ask her to do the same. I'm not sure that I would sweat her calling me by my first name or trying to negotiate a cupcake. I'd still say no, if no was the answer. I might not stay engaged in the discussion so long. But I didn't see little Mateo as being so disrespectful. I just saw that he really wanted a cupcake and I guess it didn't bother his mama to stay engaged in the discussion. No biggie :)
seaturtle1
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I have not seen this video but I nip back talk in the bud right away.  I do not put up with it.  One time getting away with it is one 2 many.  One day he will be bigger and stronger than me.  Now is when I teach him who is in charge.

GhettoKoolAide
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this
My son has a right to voice his feelings and opinions. It must be done respectfully though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)