Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I saw this on another group and thought I would get your opinion

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:08 AM
  • 37 Replies

I saw this over on the Smarter Living group.  What do you think......

Zoo season is fast approaching and I recall going last year and seeing kids in strollers who look like they're about 9! i plan on making my 3 year old walk. if for no other reason than i have an 11 month old who will use the stroller. I also think that she's old enough to be walking the whole time. What age is too old? Are parents AND kids getting lazy, or is it the norm to use them for convenience chairs for older kids?

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I use a wagon for my son(4) but he gets in and out. I bought it really because it's easier to put my backpack in, carry our lunch and coats etc. without it I would feel like a pack mule. Plus it gives my son a place to get out of the hot south TX sun and he can sit in it and eat but we can keep moving.

armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I will bring a stroller for my 3 year old if we are going to be outside walking for long periods of time.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this
I think people enjoy judging things that are none of their business. What if that 9 year old has a physical ailment that only allows them so much physical activity at a time but he/she would still like to enjoy more animals with their family?

We don't go to the zoo much but I think my youngest walked the last time we were there (she was 3ish). Maybe we had the umbrella stroller. I don't remember because it isn't important. I make decisions for MY family, not based on what people may think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M0M0F3B0YS82
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Im going to bring a wagon for my 3yr old and 1yr old, I think that to each their own as far as too old, who knows if that 9yr old didnt have issues that required breaks.. We take little breaks because we want to enjoy the experience not rush through and be pissed off at each other lol 

djg0622
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM
I take a double stroller. My three year old might be able to walk around all day but in the off chance he gets tired I don't want to have to carry him.
huskermom98
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM

It always depended on the zoo and our life stage.  Our local zoo is very walkable from a young age, but even when my youngest was 3 I would take a small stroller because I still had to carry a diaper bag around.  When we would visit the Omaha Zoo I would definitely take a stroller because it's very hilly and quite spread out--plus you can take food in there so I would always pack lots of snack, if not a lunch.

As for those 9yo you see...that could be my nephew who is severly autistic.  He would be ok going to places like the zoo (or an amusement park)  with all of the cousins if he could ride in a stroller, but once he outgrew (affordable) strollers it was just too much for him to handle (along with his Mom).

MsDenuninani
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I will bring a stroller as long as I think I may need to use a stroller because my child is tired or he can use it to nap in or because I need to keep him from running off somewhere. Yes, it is kinda lazy.  But I really don't care.

I think people need to not worry about what other people are doing so much.

mamak3211
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Last year we went to a zoo and sesame place with our 2 yr old. We brought a stroller and really our daughter barely sat in it. It was good for carrying our stuff but dd wanted to be walking around and occasionally daddy carried her.
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM
We take a wagon for my 5yr old ds and 4 yr old niece for when we go. They can walk or ride as much as they want better than carrying them for half the day when you spend 5+ hours at the zoo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:45 AM
My 4 yr old still rides in the stroller sometimes when we go to six flags. We are there sometimes from open to close and my mom and I tend to walk fast to get where we are going lol. Last year when she was still 3 I thought she didn't need a stroller. We were spending 2 days at six flags. About halfway through the first day she was so worn out from trying to keep up with us lol. I went the next morning and bought a cheap stroller for her to use. She doesn't ride in it constantly but just when we are moving faster than what her little legs go without her having to run lol. My 6 and 7 yr olds have sat in it a few times to but they are really too heavy to push, plus they have longer legs and can keep up a little better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN