Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Car seat help needed ... Please

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • 20 Replies
My ds just turned two in January..

Little dude is awesome, kinda on the short side but very solid. I've noticed that he likes to undo the chest buckle on his car seat lately. I've talked to him about this but he just doesn't want to stop..

This morning he completely unbuckled himself and started climbing around the car.

It's not a loose buckle, he is just a tough little dude and apparently stronger than I want him to be. I re buckled him in and watched him just evil stare at me as he unbuckled himself again.

Dh wants to put him in a booster seat.

I don't feel he is big enough for a booster... He just seems so small. He weighs enough for one... I just don't know what to do...

Geez after rereading this I sound whiny.. Sorry. Greg is very stubborn and hardheaded... Other than duct tape him in the seat I need to come up a solution and fast.
Thanks for any and all advice
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamak3211
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Hmmm I'm not sure of a solution. There is a carseat group here maybe you could ask them? I wouldn't recommend a booster though because they say to sit in them the child must be able to sit properly and it doesn't sound like he can. Best of luck though!
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't understand how a booster would keep him buckled in a seat better than a car seat that does not seem logical. Sounds more like open defiance than a car seat issue. I think you need to teach him more about car riding safety than switch his seat. No buckles, car doesn't move. If you refuse, you don't get to go. If that means buckling him into the seat and then following through and pulling him out and marching him back into the house when he doesn't stay buckled than so be it. This is especially effective if you are headed somewhere he really wants to go(say an invented trip to get ice cream or a park or whatever). The key really is follow through because otherwise he will call your bluff. If you have to back out the car and turn halfway around on a trip to the grocery store yes it is a pain but he has to know you mean it. No buckles no ride period. And every time he unbuckles you stop the car right away buckle him back and that's it. If he's REALLY stubborn than an adult sits back there with him in a tells him no, stops him from even touching the buckles, etc until he quits.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

1) he's not even CLOSE to big enough for a booster and, based on the point of your post, 2) not even CLOSE to mature enough for a booster even IF he was big enough.  Your son would be all over your car.  Your hubby is wrong on this one.

Most states require 4 years old and/or 40lbs.

Your son unbuckling himself has become a power struggle that he's winning.  You just need to lay down the law and enforce some serious discipline.  I'm not talking spanking, I hate that.  I'm talking serious loss of privileges and VERY stern warnings.  If you have to stop every 10 feet to rebuckle him on the way home, so be it.  Do not stand for your child putting himself in danger.  He needs to understand who is in charge...

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

well said!

Quoting Molimomma:

I don't understand how a booster would keep him buckled in a seat better than a car seat that does not seem logical. Sounds more like open defiance than a car seat issue. I think you need to teach him more about car riding safety than switch his seat. No buckles, car doesn't move. If you refuse, you don't get to go. If that means buckling him into the seat and then following through and pulling him out and marching him back into the house when he doesn't stay buckled than so be it. This is especially effective if you are headed somewhere he really wants to go(say an invented trip to get ice cream or a park or whatever). The key really is follow through because otherwise he will call your bluff. If you have to back out the car and turn halfway around on a trip to the grocery store yes it is a pain but he has to know you mean it. No buckles no ride period. And every time he unbuckles you stop the car right away buckle him back and that's it. If he's REALLY stubborn than an adult sits back there with him in a tells him no, stops him from even touching the buckles, etc until he quits.

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this
A booster at 2 years old is an absolute NO. Most children are not even prepared to ride in a booster until 6. This is a behavior issue that needs to be addressed. You need to teach him not to touch the belt or there will be a consequence. You can also put a button up shirt on backwards to cover the buckle until he learns.
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM
I agree, boosters are not for 2, or even 3, year olds (here you have to be 4 AND 40 pounds to be in one legally)

Can you post a picture of him in his seat?

Is he rear facing or forward facing?

Even if he can unbuckle the chest clip, he shouldn't be able to get out of the car seat if the straps are aet correctly (right below the shoulders for rear facing, tight enough so you can barely pinch them). Are the straps loose due to his coat? - he may be able to slip out of his coat and therefore out of the seat If he has one on (the solution is to wear a blanket while in the car)
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

What car seat are you using that he can so easily get out of?  He doesn't need to be rewarded for bad behavior (booster seat with more freedom would be a reward and very dangerous) you need to discipline him.  What ever your method of discipline is make sure you make him know that his punishment is for unbuckling his seat and getting out also make sure to reward him when he does stay in his seat buckled as well. 

nkki954
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:31 PM
I can post a pic of him in his seat when I leave work today.
To let you know about Greg.. He is a rough kid, he just changed from the one year old class to the two year class.. There have been some behavior issues since.
He doesn't get rewarded for bad behavior, I do timeouts my dh spanks (which I disagree with). We are beginning to come to a common ground with discipline with him.

He is forward facing, I switched him about two months ago.

I tried explaining to him that he needs to stay buckled in, that didn't work.
I don't believe in turning around and smacking him.
I didn't put him in timeout once we got school... Should I have?
What kind of discipline would you do for that? Pull the car over and punish him?turn around and go home and punish him?
He gets praised and rewarded for good behavior.
We have grown use to praising when a child has a job well done, our oldest has Aspergers so it's programmed in our brains... Unfortunately so is not being harsh ... And we are more forgiving, maybe too easy for discipline.
crystalplus1
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Not ready for a booster, Try Velcro in the buckle, some kids will not touch it....Also My mom used to pull over and spank us when we did that..... We learned really quick not to.

mamatink7
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM

he cant be in a booster seat yet-not big enough or old enough yet

perhaps have dr office check it out or go to a car seat check (know more areas have them several times a yr) worst scenerio is visit a police station/ firestation. 

many moms mentioned car seat safety, not buckled up then dont leave driveway/ same thing going down rd and unbuckle then pull over safely until buckled back up. i have had to do this for older kids before and they hate it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)