Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

my son will be 3 1/2 on April 9th and we have been having an issue with him bitting off and on for the last year and a half (since his sister was born). My question is how can I get him to stop? He has bit a two different kids at story time and tried to bite the teacher in story time on seperate occasions so today since he bit a kid they told me he can not be there if he is going to bite. He loves story time though so I am at a loss as to what to do. 

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
Randi02
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:39 AM

This!

I was going to say that it might be sensory at first, and that maybe some of those chewing beads might help him - but it sounds like it's anxiety related.

Poor guy :( None of my kids were biters.

Quoting Retrokitty: Teach him coping skills to deal with those feelings

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:45 AM

what i can't seem to understand is he doesn't do it every time he is in a situation similar to yesterday so i am not sure what is going on.

Quoting Randi02:

This!

I was going to say that it might be sensory at first, and that maybe some of those chewing beads might help him - but it sounds like it's anxiety related.

Poor guy :( None of my kids were biters.

Quoting Retrokitty: Teach him coping skills to deal with those feelings

suetoo
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

There needs to be an immediate consequence. My dgd is a biter, she's 18months. She gets firmly, sternly told its unacceptable, biting is not allowed and immediately removed from play. A 2 minute sit in a naughty corner happens every time she bites. She's learning. Make sure your child isn't enjoying attention after he bites. Make a big soothing fuss over his victim and ignore him. Don't yell or reiterate. Say it once and calmly. Always follow through. Always affirm the consequence.

TheartAH
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM
This is not normal. I'm confused: You said it's been a year and a half but then talked about him possibly being ill.
Does he speak well? Understand consequences? It sounds like you are making a lot of excuses and making him the victim. I do not blame the teacher for not allowing him back for awhile. Does HE know why he can't go to story time anymore?
othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM

My kids have bite occasionally. My oldest was under 2 and I don't remember how we got him to stop. My youngest was around 2-3 and she would get time outs usually

TheartAH
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Also, I seriously hope that you consider at least therapy and maybe medication for this anxiety that is impacting the welfare of your child(ren).
TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:51 PM

he knows why he can't go back. I AM NOT MAKING DAMN EXCUSES. He speaks better then a lot of kids his age even with him being such a preemie. When he doesn't feel well he has issues with behaving. 

Quoting TheartAH: This is not normal. I'm confused: You said it's been a year and a half but then talked about him possibly being ill. Does he speak well? Understand consequences? It sounds like you are making a lot of excuses and making him the victim. I do not blame the teacher for not allowing him back for awhile. Does HE know why he can't go to story time anymore?

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM

it is not impacting their welfare. When they need to see the doctor they go to the clinic at hubbys work or go to the pediatritian. Medication and therapy does not work for it I have tried them for years.  How is MY ISSUES impacting my children IN YOUR OPINION?

Quoting TheartAH: Also, I seriously hope that you consider at least therapy and maybe medication for this anxiety that is impacting the welfare of your child(ren).

TheartAH
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I was refering back to your statements about not taking him to a better doctor because of your driving anxiety and inabilty to teach coping skills because you lack them yourself, To me that shows that your current conditon is effecting your children in a negative way.

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

it is not impacting their welfare. When they need to see the doctor they go to the clinic at hubbys work or go to the pediatritian. Medication and therapy does not work for it I have tried them for years.  How is MY ISSUES impacting my children IN YOUR OPINION?

Quoting TheartAH: Also, I seriously hope that you consider at least therapy and maybe medication for this anxiety that is impacting the welfare of your child(ren).

maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I've been having the same issue with son for about a month. 

He bit a couple of times when he was younger, but nothing for over a year. Then in a two week period he bit 3 kids at school and bit his brother so hard it left a bad mark. 

We've been keeping the kids calmer at home not allowing rowdy play and that seems to be helping. We've also been stricter about his temper in general. When he gets made he has to sit and cool off before he does anything else. He hasn't bitten anyone in a while. I hope it's over!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)