Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I need advice please! *update*

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:50 AM
  • 43 Replies
I love my twins to death believe me, but lately they are getting me to the point of just wanting to rip my hair out. They will be 2 in may so I'm guessing it's the terrible twos starting.they constantly scream and yell at me until they get what they want, I can't eat or drink anything without ending up loosing it to them.They constantly fight, my son climbs on he's sister all the time and continues even when she screams. They bite eachother along with other things.If they aren't doing this they are crying non stop they aren't teething or anything like that but cause I know their pain cry it's more of a whinging cry. I have tried time out and even a small tap but nothing works, any advice would be much appreciated.I just feel like all they do is scream at me :(

**UPDATE**

So this is day 2 and my daughter is taking everything in and she's not crying or screaming at all. If she starts I say "no" and she stops sometimes she gets a little sad but she just comes for a cuddle and then runs off again. My son on the other hand well he isn't he's still having the tantrums and screaming at me. I have been doing timeout and being firm with it.if he keeps screaming I found ignoring him helps if timeout doesn't, he gives up. He really hates it.But I'm going to keep at it cause even if it takes a week or a month I'm going to stay with it.Thanks for all the advice!
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mummyoftwins92
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Bump
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Be consistent with your discipline choice and don't give in when you say no or are eating.  Try to redirect them if they are constantly whining or yelling and when they are being quiet and well behaved praise them for the good behavior. 

mummyoftwins92
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:09 AM
I try to get them to play in their room they have plenty of toys but they rather come and scream at me.i will try though, it's very rare they are behaved at the moment but I will give it a go thank you.

Quoting babyspots17:

Be consistent with your discipline choice and don't give in when you say no or are eating.  Try to redirect them if they are constantly whining or yelling and when they are being quiet and well behaved praise them for the good behavior. 

Arwynn
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM
And who's the adult? Seriously. Take charge.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

First of all take a breath. I know this must be hard with 2. My husband is a twin and his mother actually committed suicide when he & his sister were almost exactly that age. My first suggestion would be having a place to physically seperate the 2. Either a baby gate or play yard or something. Siblings fight and at that age it tends to be lots of hitting, biting, pushing etc. you need a way to keep them apart when they are beating each other up. Maybe even put them each in their high chairs? You need a way to contain them in a time out like way when they are revved up out of control. Also, what do they have to keep them entertained? Are they fighting over toys or are they bored and running amok? My son was driving me crazy at about two and I started having more active things for him to do like build with blocks, play playdough, do puzzles, etc so he wasn't so bored and aimlessly looking for me to entertain them. Lastly, when you are eating or drinking just say no. If they have their own they need to stay away from yours period. You need to teach them that boundary now or it's only going to get worse and you need your energy! If they say they want your drink, get them their own. Same thing with food. If it is on your plate it is yours, if they wants some put some on a plate for them. Lastly, their is no yelling at Momma. If they yell at you they go to their room, in their crib if need be to stay there. Every.Single.Time. There is no yelling at Mommy, period. It will take awhile for them to learn that this is a serious rule and you mean it but a few days of ending up in their room over and over and they will figure it out. Just make sure you say in a regular but authoritative voice,"there is no yelling(or screaming) at momma" and put them in their room. 

mummyoftwins92
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM
I'm doing the best I can I'm a single mother looking after 2 kids at once not just one at a time going through the stage..I'm just asking for advice incase someone has any ideas.

Quoting Arwynn: And who's the adult? Seriously. Take charge.
mummyoftwins92
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM
They have books, blocks, soft toys, noisy toys, interactive toys etc. I haven't given them play dough cause knowing them they would eat it lol.i will buy some puzzles and things, colouring books theu will just rip up.i separate them when they fight and if it's over a toy I take it off them.i usually say no to my food but they scream that badly I just give in so they stop which I know I shouldn't. From now on I will tell them no and be firm and if they continue I will tell them they will go to timeout which is usually going to their cott.its just so hard when family and that don't listen and do the complete opposite but I'm hoping the twins will eventually learn when they with me none of it happens.

Quoting Molimomma:

First of all take a breath. I know this must be hard with 2. My husband is a twin and his mother actually committed suicide when he & his sister were almost exactly that age. My first suggestion would be having a place to physically seperate the 2. Either a baby gate or play yard or something. Siblings fight and at that age it tends to be lots of hitting, biting, pushing etc. you need a way to keep them apart when they are beating each other up. Maybe even put them each in their high chairs? You need a way to contain them in a time out like way when they are revved up out of control. Also, what do they have to keep them entertained? Are they fighting over toys or are they bored and running amok? My son was driving me crazy at about two and I started having more active things for him to do like build with blocks, play playdough, do puzzles, etc so he wasn't so bored and aimlessly looking for me to entertain them. Lastly, when you are eating or drinking just say no. If they have their own they need to stay away from yours period. You need to teach them that boundary now or it's only going to get worse and you need your energy! If they say they want your drink, get them their own. Same thing with food. If it is on your plate it is yours, if they wants some put some on a plate for them. Lastly, their is no yelling at Momma. If they yell at you they go to their room, in their crib if need be to stay there. Every.Single.Time. There is no yelling at Mommy, period. It will take awhile for them to learn that this is a serious rule and you mean it but a few days of ending up in their room over and over and they will figure it out. Just make sure you say in a regular but authoritative voice,"there is no yelling(or screaming) at momma" and put them in their room. 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:24 AM

If they don't have good behavior on their own then you need to direct them into activities that they will have a good time and not fight and yell.  They are not even two you need to interact with them and come up with activities to engage them and help them learn new things and how to behave when doing them.  What do you do on a daily basis with them what is your day like? 

Quoting mummyoftwins92: I try to get them to play in their room they have plenty of toys but they rather come and scream at me.i will try though, it's very rare they are behaved at the moment but I will give it a go thank you.
Quoting babyspots17:

mummyoftwins92
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM
They fight and yell over the smallest of things my daughter especially my son only has to walk past her and she gets cranky.i read books with them and play with their toys with them.
We get up in the morning they have breakfast and watch some cartoons then they go play in their room or in the loungeroom. They can do it for hours sometimes.i play with them.if it's a nice day they will go outside and run around.they usually have one nap a day

Quoting babyspots17:

If they don't have good behavior on their own then you need to direct them into activities that they will have a good time and not fight and yell.  They are not even two you need to interact with them and come up with activities to engage them and help them learn new things and how to behave when doing them.  What do you do on a daily basis with them what is your day like? 

Quoting mummyoftwins92: I try to get them to play in their room they have plenty of toys but they rather come and scream at me.i will try though, it's very rare they are behaved at the moment but I will give it a go thank you.

Quoting babyspots17:

HopeAlive
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Aww, I'm sorry mama! I know this isn't an easy phase of parenting... especially when you've got two are the same age! I agree with PPs - consistency with discipline has been very helpful in my experience. Also, do you think you should try a new method of discipline? Is your twins' dad involved in their lives?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN