Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I've Created a Monster! When natural consequences go wrong

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Max
  • 19 Replies
8 moms liked this

My three year old is just a messy kid. When he eats there's food all over him, the table and the floor. He is clumsy and dumps cups over drops stuff. 

So I've been working on teaching him to clean up after himself. I put some dish clothes and Clorox wipes where he can get them and when he spills something he goes and cleans it. 

This morning I walked into the room to find my coffee dumped all over the floor. The cup was on the counter, but the coffee was in the middle of the floor. As I stood pondering how this could have happened he comes around the corner dishcloth in hand saying, "Don't worry Mommy I'm cleaning it up!"

As he mopped up the spill I asked how the coffee got on the floor.  His answer?

"I put it there! Cleaning is fun!! Now I clean it up!!!" with a big giant grin on his face. 

Oops! I think my plan backfired a little. 

by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss05
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Oh I hate to say this but that is really cute and sweet. Gotta love creative 3yo :)

withsecond
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM

lol, cute. 

I'd be like, oh hey... if you want to help clean I have plenty for you to do! Then give him some things to clean. 

LinnyAnne
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 3:25 PM

My son likes to help me clean too.. he does this by going to into the bathroom, and getting 1 square of toilet paper and scrubbing the floor. OR I hand him a square of paper towel, and after he cleans he flushes it down the toilet. Even though I repeatedly told him to put it in the trash. 

BUT I love that he wants to help, and I have no qualms agaisnt child labor. 

punkomama08
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM

i only WISH that would happen with my ds! I'm having the hardest time getting him to want to clean.

lisahappymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

...ah, the best laid plans!  Let's hope that he eventually gets tired of spilling but not tired of cleaning.   :-)

The Mommie Dearest Group on CafeMom - connect with others who grew up with an abusive mom

emtgirl885
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Lol, cute!
Cherish77
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM

hehehe..  ds is 6 and only likes cleaning his desk at school.  He will clean some at home, but at school it's more fun because he gets a treat or prize.

LinnyAnne
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL I had to laugh last night esp after reading this yesterday.. My DS wanted me but I was busy cleaning up after dinner, so he helped me load the dish washer, and dry the pots after I washed them. And then wipe down the countertops. He loves helping me clean! I will keep this up as long as I can. Might be about time to pull out that chore chart I got this past summer at a garage sale, and see what I can get away with having DS do to "earn" things 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Quoting lisahappymom:

...ah, the best laid plans!  Let's hope that he eventually gets tired of spilling but not tired of cleaning.   :-)

I don't know about that. The spilling is pretty fun too!

mem82
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM

ha! LOL that's too funny!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)