Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dental health issues

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM
  • 9 Replies
My DS (2 yr) usually loves to brush his teeth. For the past week he has been refusing. His gums are getting inflamed and I cannot get a toothbrush (or washcloth or finger cap brush) into his mouth no matter what I do.

How do you deal with toddlers and dental health? Is there something he can drink that would help clean his mouth? I'm thinking lemon water might help but not sure.

Help me please. Thanks!
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
seaturtle1
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Have you tried the electric tooth brush?  Or try a sticker chart when he does brush his teeth.   Maybe even go and let him Pick out his own tooth brush.  He also may be getting molers and his mouth might hurt.  An old wives tail says eating apples cleans your teeth.  Good luck hope I helped.

jstadt
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM
He did pick out his toothbrush. He likes to play with it. He usually has fun brushing his teeth but I think it is because his mouth hurts. His gums are inflamed. I will try the apples. He had oranges and bananas for breakfast. Thanks
Jessica-Daniell
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM
No lemon water. It will strip his enamel.
baking soda water but doesn't taste good.
Talk ton Dr bout getting a fluoride drops.
Jessica-Daniell
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Apples have sugars. Try looking for a kids mouth wash.
mem82
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Have you looked to see if he has canker sores or molars coming in? It might be he has a case of thrush or something. I can't imagine that just one week would cause his gums to hurt so bad.

jstadt
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM
He is teething. which is why he won't let me put the toothbrush in his mouth. That, in turn, causes inflamed gums and gives him more reason to deny the toothbrush. I don't know about thrush. I don't think so because he has no white coating.

I just need a solution to hols us over until he will let me brush his teeth again. I don't think it is anything really bad but he is starting to get bad breath

Quoting mem82:

Have you looked to see if he has canker sores or molars coming in? It might be he has a case of thrush or something. I can't imagine that just one week would cause his gums to hurt so bad.

mem82
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Will he swish warm salt water?

Quoting jstadt: He is teething. which is why he won't let me put the toothbrush in his mouth. That, in turn, causes inflamed gums and gives him more reason to deny the toothbrush. I don't know about thrush. I don't think so because he has no white coating. I just need a solution to hols us over until he will let me brush his teeth again. I don't think it is anything really bad but he is starting to get bad breath
Quoting mem82:

flprincessmom
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM

try doing it when he is sleeping?  maybe use one of those foam gum cleaners? sorry don't know what they are called...

flprincessmom
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

or try numbing his mouth first???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)