Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Toddler no taking all of her penicillin doses

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

Is it bad if my toddler is not getting all of her full penicillin doses?  There have been a couple of doses that she spit out, and a couple that she would not finish when I mixed it with a liquid.  Have you gone through this and what did your pediatrician tell you?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you use a medicine dropper and squirt it toward the back of her mouth? I can't think of anything else

sarahw06219
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I've always been told to give another dose of the child spits it out. You're really advised not to mix it with a drink specifically for this reason- the child may not finish the drink, and you then have no way of knowing how much of the dose she got.
mommaFruFru
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I give another dose if they spit a lot out.

My pedi also suggested mixing really nasty meds with chocolate syrup.

What kid wouldn't drink a spoon of syrup :) lol
Antsy33
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Really she won't take the Penicillin?! How old is she? I don't think it will make too much difference so long as she is getting some or most of it.

My daughter is 3.5 and has been prescribed Augmenten twice now. It tastes like nasty medicine (I even tried taking it to show her last week that big kids and adults / good girls take it). I mixed it with Applesauce and chocolate syrup like the pharmacist suggested. It did not work, she still spit it out. Walmart does not do flavoring - if she HAS to have it in the future I will take it to CVS or Target who does do flavoring.

The last time she had to have it I tried the whole hold her down, squirt it in the side of her cheek and she will swallow it thing. No it didn't work and it made her afraid of us AND taking medicine in general. I called last week and asked them to change the medicine to something else. She now has amoxcillin which tastes better. Call the doctor's office or pharmacy for suggestions. You might also want to try to bribe her with a small piece of candy. Good luck. 

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes she should finish it, you probably shouldn't be mixing it with a liquid.....we don't give more when my son spits it out but we used to give it to him with a medicine squirter. Now he's almost 3 we just hand him the medicine spoon & he takes it. You can offer a reward (a piece of chocolate, fruit snack, jelly bean, whatever) for taking it if she resists.
spunky946
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I discovered that something really cold takes the nasty taste out. So the last time dd needed to take the medicine I gave her a freezer pop which really helped.
sophiesmom07
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I use the syringe that comes with the bottle and pop it into his mouth and hold his mouth closed.  I'd then give him a little juice or something. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)