Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My toddler wont listen to me!

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:54 AM
  • 21 Replies

Ok so i know this might sound silly, but there are times where my 2 almost 3year old will not listen to me. I can repeat myself a million times until im blue in the face and nothing. The only way he listens is if and when i raise my voice really loud. Any other moms experience this? what helped? i really dont want to spank him

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csmcgr
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Try whispering instead. Even if he's ignoring you he will be curious especially if he has gotten accustomed to (please don't take this wrong) "moms nagging". Hopefully it works. Keep your head up momma

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:43 AM
3 moms liked this
First thing, has his hearing been checked? If there are no hearing concerns then...

You probably give too many warnings, ask too much. He's learned to ignore you cuz he can. When you ask something, get down to his level with eye contact. Ask. He either listens the first time or there is a consequence. If he does listen, tons and tons of praise!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
My 4 yr old doesn't always listen to me either. I'm a yeller and that doesn't work so I've been taking away privileges.
RKL10
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I agree with this!!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: First thing, has his hearing been checked? If there are no hearing concerns then...

You probably give too many warnings, ask too much. He's learned to ignore you cuz he can. When you ask something, get down to his level with eye contact. Ask. He either listens the first time or there is a consequence. If he does listen, tons and tons of praise!
RKL10
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I agree with this!!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: First thing, has his hearing been checked? If there are no hearing concerns then...

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:09 PM
My 2 yr old is hard head he does not listen to me at time either but I think his is his age too.
Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM

This is normal and spanking isn't necessary.  What you need to do is not talk to him from across the room.  Walk over, gently touch him on the shoulder, and look him in the eyes before giving him any instructions.

lisahappymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I know what you mean!  My DS is that same age, and we have the same issue.  I don't have the magic answer, but I have used ahaparenting.com a lot, and it's been really helpful.  You can download Dr. Markham's audios (cost money) and get really good ideas.  She has way of taking that makes you really feel like you can handle those tantrums without yelling or spanking. 

Good luck!!!

Remy11
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Have you had his hearing checked? Is he on par with his peers developmental wise.. There are many reasons he may not answer you and most of them have nothing to so with ignoring you.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: First thing, has his hearing been checked? If there are no hearing concerns then... You probably give too many warnings, ask too much. He's learned to ignore you cuz he can. When you ask something, get down to his level with eye contact. Ask. He either listens the first time or there is a consequence. If he does listen, tons and tons of praise!

^This

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN