Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

early potty training

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter will not be two until June but we have already started potty training. For the last week she has only had a couple of accidents a day. However she doesn't tell me when she needs to go. I've just been taking her. She talks and uses sign language so she can communicate her needs and she meets nearly all the criteria for potty train readiness. When did your kids start letting you know when they needed the potty?

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:54 AM
There's no need to push it at this age, just let her lead the way.

My daughter potty trained shortly after her second birthday.
csmcgr
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I'm not really trying to push her is just she is so advanced in everything that i decided to give it as shot. I was potty trained before a year and she is constantly either with me or my mother so it was one of those if she does cool if not oh well I'm still saving diapers :)

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM
My kids were older so they told me after the first week or so, once they got the hang of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Siah616
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:32 PM
My son will be 2 in June and I have been potty training as well. I started when he was 18 months because he would take his diaper off and tell me when he was peeing in his diaper. At first he was against it so I didnt push him. Now he uses the potty every morning, he always wakes up dry so its easy for me to do it first thing. If im going to be home all day I keep him bare bottom and hes pretty good at knowing when he needs to pee. I havent been very consistent honestly because our schedule is a little all over the place. Sometimes he refuses and screams "NO POTTY!". I would love for him to be trained completely but when he is ready, im pretty easy going.
auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:43 PM
My oldest son was 3 yr old when he was and right now my 2 yr old has no intrest in it.
ambergem
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM

My 4 yo DD just recently got FULLY potty trained in the last few months.  I tried early potty training and it was only becoming hard on me and her.  DS also was really fully potty trained at 4 yo.  I would keep trying in between and promote them learning, but I didnt do full on until they were really responding.  Used pull-ups.  My DS and DD can now wear underwear everywhere and go when they feel the need on their own at home, and ask to go to the potty when out.  Seems like a long time, but it was a slow process for mine.  DD who is 2, going on 3 will start soon. She started telling me when she is going to poo before she does, but doesn't yet know how to go on the spot.  Sit her on the toilet for a while and let her down then try again later.  I don't think it's impossible to start training at 2, but I don't think you'll see the full results that young, at least for me.

“Mothers are all slightly insane.”
― J.D. SalingerThe Catcher in the Rye

going crazy

.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 31, 2014 at 6:48 PM

my kids were out of diapers before 2. it took a few months for them to start telling me though. we normally have a little potty chair and they'd just use it when they needed to go.

happymum32712
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:02 PM
My son just turned 2 last week and started using his potty a few weeks ago. He started stripping naked and refusing to put his clothes on so I just let him run around naked and he basically trained himself. When he wears his diaper he can tell me when he has gone potty but not before. He still hasn't managed a number two in his potty I think because he stands when he pees and doesn't understand he needs to sit the other way.lol
JerrysMom2011
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM

My 2.5 DS is semi potty trained. He began telling us just a little after he was 1. He went to the potty all by himself at the babysitters. Now he tells us only once in a while and we ask him and its usually a no, but we are not pushing him. He will fully learn when he is ready. 

MyNameIs-
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:27 PM
My dd will be 2 in a couple weeks. She's started to tell me after she has peed. She knows that the toilet is for peeling and pooping. I'm not rushing it. I rushed her sister and paid dearly for it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)