Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Does your child have sensory problems?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM
  • 19 Replies
My 1 1/2 year old has some sensory issues. He will not play with any of his toys. He will stare at toys with lights and occasionally follow his sister's ball around the house but he will not roll it back to us. He crawls with his hands in a fist sometimes. He will not eat food off a spoon. He will not hold anything but his bottle and pacifier.
We have had therapists coming out to work with him for about 2 months now. He has a PT, OT, Speech, SST, and Nutritionist coming out. Soon he will also have a vision therapist coming out.
He did not crawl until he got his glasses shortly before his 1st birthday. He has had tubes put in because he wasn't passing hearing tests but he has passed one since the tubes were put in. He just started standing up from a squatting position without holding onto anything. He has only taken 2 steps unassisted.
His neurologist says he has low tone. His PT says he needs braces on his feet because his heals are turning in.
Anyway, the point of this post is to talk to others moms who might know what I am going through with all this. I want to know why my baby is like this. I want to know if all this therapy is going to work for him. I want to know if there is a name for what he has. I know some if not all these questions may never be answered but I think I would be a little less stressed with all of it if I had someone to talk to who knows what my family is through.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I wish I could hug you. Sometimes it takes a little while for all the doctors and professionals to put a name to something. Just know you're doing an awesome thing by getting your son therapy and trying to figure out what's going on with him. He's learning new skills and achieving milestones!

CrstlChstn79
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Thank you I needed to hear that. I know it'll take a while if they even do figure it out. I get frustrated with the things they test him for after I tell them that's not the problem. For instance, they wanted a swallow test done because he will not eat off a spoon. He makes faces and sometimes looks like he's gagging but he isn't gagging. I tried to tell the doc he swallows fine but she insisted I have it done. We did and there is nothing wrong eith the way he swallows. It's part of his sensory issues. He is super sensitive to textures and new things.

Quoting iansmommy9:

I wish I could hug you. Sometimes it takes a little while for all the doctors and professionals to put a name to something. Just know you're doing an awesome thing by getting your son therapy and trying to figure out what's going on with him. He's learning new skills and achieving milestones!

lisahappymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I'd listen carefully to what the nutritionist has to say since she/he might be able to identify some processed food with certain chemicals that might be affecting your LO. 

((big hugs))

Shelly126
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww good luck and God bless you momma and your precious DS too! Your doing an amazing job being so I tuned to your LO! Keep being his strongest advocate, sending you best wishes.
MamaNurse199
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry you have to go through this. My oldest has down syndrome and we have to deal with pt,ot and speech too, but I can't imagine what it would be like to not know why this is happening. Hugs!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you have lots of resources for early intervention. I don't have personal experience with this, but here's a bump!

PriestessBrandy
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I think first you need a big HUG, so *HUG*. I believe my 3 year old has sensory issues, only with her she hates flashing lights and she HATES the whistle from trains. Other little things also make me believe she has sensory issues. She also receives PT, OT and Speech. All three seem to help. Anyway, your son sounds like a cutie pie. Your strong. I can feel it. If ever you want to talk PM me. Oh and..........*HUGS* again.

KREX0914
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Yes, she does have sensory issues. She had eight ear infections before she turned 1 year old which effected the way she developed hearing. I even had to have her tested for absent seizures because she would just space out and no amount of noise would break her trance. Turns out she just couldn't hear me.

She didn't learn to talk until she was almost three, and then had to be in speech therapy. She was diagnosed with "receptive communication disorder" at age three which apparently puts her on "the autism spectrum." She still has trouble processing what is said to her. She is now almost 5 and her most often used phrase is still "What you just say?" 

Oh, and potty training when she didn't understand what was being said to her was just ... two years of hell.  It even got to the point that I had to pull her out of Head Start because the teachers decided "it wasn't their job" to change her pull-ups if she had an accident (even though she was in a special needs class because she could barely talk...) and not to mention the cuts and bruises she would come home with yet not be able to tell me what caused them. No amount of meetings with the principal fixed that ...

Oh, I am dreading Kindergarten next year ...

And she recently started telling me "I fink need some glasses" every few days ... So now I need to go have her eyes checked out too.

CrstlChstn79
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Thanks. My boy loves staring at lights but all kids are different. He also does not like loud noises. He freaks out when ambulances or fire trucks have the sires on and pass us. The therapy seems to be helping a little or him too. I hope the older he gets the more he can learn to tolerate things that upset him.

Quoting PriestessBrandy:

I think first you need a big HUG, so *HUG*. I believe my 3 year old has sensory issues, only with her she hates flashing lights and she HATES the whistle from trains. Other little things also make me believe she has sensory issues. She also receives PT, OT and Speech. All three seem to help. Anyway, your son sounds like a cutie pie. Your strong. I can feel it. If ever you want to talk PM me. Oh and..........*HUGS* again.

perrywinkle
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I understand completely- my oldest has had delays from a year. He has had therapy since 15 months old- OT, PT, Speech and now ABA. He was diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum at 5, but he didn't present as a typical child with ASD. Now it makes sense looking back.

My best advice is celebrate his milestones as they happen, not what he should be doing. He will develop at his own pace and it doesn't help to compare him with others. Also, I know the sensory issues are difficult. I worked with an OT for his issues when he was younger. He has improved a lot- they learn to cope better as they get older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)