Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

they said he's not ready

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:38 AM
  • 14 Replies
So im a little disappointed. I took my son who is going to be 5 may 16th to his kindergarden screening and well it didn't go so good. He doesn't know how to right his name or his abc and some other stuff. He pretty much refused to do anything. I know its somewhat my fault tho cause I should have been working with him more and should have put him in preschool last year. I feel like im to blame for him not being ready to go to school. They said to put him in pre school this year and wait till next year for kindergarden if thats what I think is right. I just dont want to see my little boy struggle and hate school like did. He is not an easy kid to teach things too. He likes to drift off and not pay attention to what im trying to show him. Anyone have any advice on how I can get him to actually try to learn things like how to write his name and learn his abc?
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XOXOnBubbles
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM
3 moms liked this

I think putting him in preschool is a great place to start.  He will not only get help with the academic stuff, but also the social skills of being in a classroom with other children.  

As for what to do at home... Find things that interest him.  There are lots of educational movies and games out there.  If you make learning fun he will want to participate more.  I love the Preschool Prep and the Leap Frog DVDs.  Build a tower with ABC blocks, he has to find the block with the letter you name on it, see how high you can get before it falls down.  Practice counting with things like goldfish crackers or chocolate chips.  He has to count them before he can eat them.   Turn every day activities into learning opportunities.  Go for a walk, and find something blue, then something green, etc.  Make sure you read to your child every day.  You can also go to story time at the library.  

huntersmommy91
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Thanks I will try some of these. He is great with counting colors and shapes just not good at writing anything or his letters

Quoting XOXOnBubbles:

I think putting him in preschool is a great place to start.  He will not only get help with the academic stuff, but also the social skills of being in a classroom with other children.  

As for what to do at home... Find things that interest him.  There are lots of educational movies and games out there.  If you make learning fun he will want to participate more.  I love the Preschool Prep and the Leap Frog DVDs.  Build a tower with ABC blocks, he has to find the block with the letter you name on it, see how high you can get before it falls down.  Practice counting with things like goldfish crackers or chocolate chips.  He has to count them before he can eat them.   Turn every day activities into learning opportunities.  Go for a walk, and find something blue, then something green, etc.  Make sure you read to your child every day.  You can also go to story time at the library.  

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
If he is 5 they can not turn him away from kindergarten. So really it is up to you..
Both my older 2 boys basically refused to learn anything from me. But exceled in prek and kindergarten.
huntersmommy91
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM
They didn't refuse him just pretty much said if I put him in now he will struggle and be behind. They even expect them to know how to read by the time they go to first grade now I didn't learn that till first grade. Schools have changed so much since I was in them.

Quoting mommaFruFru: If he is 5 they can not turn him away from kindergarten. So really it is up to you..
Both my older 2 boys basically refused to learn anything from me. But exceled in prek and kindergarten.
Ma2Liam
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Ds refuses to learn from me. He gets really frustrated and fights it or just really doesn't pay attention.
He is in pre-k this year and doing so much better. I thought he would do the same to the teacher, but he is so much better. Also the added peer pressure helps (unfortunately) I would really look into a pre-k and then supplement what they are learning at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VinVanMom
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM
My ipd has free letter and number game aps. Some of the tv shows teach them too. My son likes music. We had a foster son who was behind. He didn't know his name. Hubs taught him to sing it. Sounds silly but he learned it and sing it for everyone. One letter a week. One color a week.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM

If you feel that he would benefit from another year out of school, there is nothing wrong with that. I don't really have any advice, my son's birthday is 25 days after the cut off so I had no choice but to wait until he was 6. lol.

littlepinkrose
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Pre-school would probably work for him. Allot of kids do not like to learn from there parents but do well with other kids and a teacher.  It is not all your fault but yes some.  Nothing to do now but get him in pre-school it is not the worst for him to start  Kindergarten at 6.  The worst would be he goes and learns nothing or does poor and has to take the year over.  Best to start pre-school so he does not feel so far behind.  Start with getting him to write at least his name.  I did that with my nephew who did not know stuff either.  They liked that he could at least read his name in print.  They had nametags in pre-school and the kids were required to get there own nametag every morning by themselves with no help. His birthday is in June he is currently 7 and in first grade and doing great. Good Luck!

suetoo
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Deep breath. Don't take this so hard. Holding off kindergarten will be the best thing you can do for him. Preschool is a wonderful fun way for him to learn basics. Boys don't mature as fast as girls and by being the older, more mature group in his kinder class next year, will increase the odds he will be successful, and enjoy school. Be patient, and start informal fun preschool play with him now. This is not a bad thing, at all. :-)

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Can you set aside some time to work with him everyday? If I were you i'd go ahead and sign him up for kindergarten (you can always change your mind later but this way there's a spot for him if you do decide to send him) and I'd order some pre-K curriculum and just work with him a lot and maybe sign him up for a summer pre-k program somewhere.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)