Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Is he too old for diapers???

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:09 AM
  • 71 Replies

My son turned 3 in December. He wears "big boy" underwear and uses the potty at daycare all day (when he has to pee). He saves the rest for when he gets home. As soon as he gets home he asks for a diaper so he can go # 2 and then once he gets changed, he wants another diaper and won't use the "big boy" potty for the rest of the night. When he's home on weekends, he also will only go in a diaper (both # 1 & 2 all day). If I try to put underwear on him so he has to go pee in the potty, he will just go pee in his pants. What am I doing wrong or what can I do differently? Or is he just not ready? Is he a little old for this?

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:28 AM
10 moms liked this
Don't give him diapers. Tell him no that he's a big boy and needs to use the potty. Make him clean his own messes until he get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sigmalade
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Ds used the bathroom at the babysitters, but not at home. I had to stop giving him the option. He peed on himself and I didn't change him right away (which made me feel horrible), but he learned his lesson. Pooping was a chore, but once he knew I meant it, he got better.

Quoting marchantmom06: Don't give him diapers. Tell him no that he's a big boy and needs to use the potty. Make him clean his own messes until he get it.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this
If he is using the potty at daycare he can use it at home. Let him soil himself and then make him clean it up. Quit giving into him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booaura
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM
If he can use the regular toilet at daycare, he can do it. Don't give in to him, don't give him diapers, make him clean himself.
mama2b100808
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Yes please don't give him diapers at all. Using the potty is huge but he also needs to know that it also number 2 needs to go in the potty also. My nephew wasn't fully potty trained till he was almost 4. But some little guys take longer to get it. My daughter was trained before she was 2 years old. But she didn't like number 2 coming out but now she is great and in school. :)

JanieJo
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:47 AM
The older he gets the harder it will be. We were doing the same thing when DS was 3. I'd give in and just let him wear a diaper. He is 5 now and still has accidents. He wears a pull up at night and when I put it on him after his bath at night, he will poop in it.

Quoting kylensmom1229:

My son turned 3 in December. He wears "big boy" underwear and uses the potty at daycare all day (when he has to pee). He saves the rest for when he gets home. As soon as he gets home he asks for a diaper so he can go # 2 and then once he gets changed, he wants another diaper and won't use the "big boy" potty for the rest of the night. When he's home on weekends, he also will only go in a diaper (both # 1 & 2 all day). If I try to put underwear on him so he has to go pee in the potty, he will just go pee in his pants. What am I doing wrong or what can I do differently? Or is he just not ready? Is he a little old for this?

PeppyInPink
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this
The day my son demanded a diaper to poo I took them and put them in the trash. I knew he could go in the potty bc he did all day until he needed to poo. I'm not sure if its just an insecurity to poo on the potty or what but I made him do it & he did within a day or so. He knew he didn't want it in his big boy undies, that's for sure.

He will hate the feel of soiling himself & learn quickly to go at home too. He is just trying to work you in his way .. If you let him now he will try to pull it forever.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I would just try not giving him diapers and have him help clean up his mess.

sophiesmom07
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Since he already wears underwear and is able to use the potty, I would stop giving him diapers. Tell him you ran out and forgot to buy more and he'll have top do it like he does in day care.   You might have a few  accidents, but I think it's inevitable at this point.  Good luck.

momtoo4boyz
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM
My oldest son was the hardest to potty train. He was four and in diapers. He cried and whined about using the potty. One morning I got smart and took away the diaper and for close to a week of cleaning messes and tantrums he finally cracked and used the his potty. Unfortunately his brothers were just as hard to PT but nothing like him.

Eta : Night time is a whole another battle. Even my my two oldest are still having bed wetting issue so good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN