Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Two year old and speech?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM
  • 46 Replies
I keep hearing all my friends talking about how well their children are talking and understanding language, and my son can't put a three word sentence together yet. He just turned two this month but I am worried about his speech, how can I help him learn faster? Are there any fun games for learning language that can keep a two year olds attention?
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tatertot98
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:26 AM
Take him to speech therapy
matofour
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:56 AM
3 moms liked this
Call your states early intervention program. They will come evaluate him, and if he qualifies provide in home speech therapy. He will have to qualify at a 33% delay in one area or 25% in two areas.
Once he turns three you will need to depend on your school district to provide therapy. It's hugely important to have him evaluated ASAP. The earlier the speech is started the better.
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
It's within average when turning 2 to be able to put together a 2 word phrase. I think DS repeated the same 2 word phrases for about 2 months, starting right before he turned 2, and started coming up with his own phrases a month or two after he turned 2. Then by 2.5 he was talking up a storm....

Your son sounds within normal and don't worry about other peoples children and comparing.
crystalplus1
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM

ds did not talk until after 2. He just kind of exploded after that....But picture books, have him tell you what your pointing at, flash cards....And if you just get him what he wants because you know, try and get him to tell you. Like drink, hungry, snack. He will get there, dont worry.

Elibellamiah
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM

It wouldn't hurt to get an evaluation done so you can know for sure. I've been having speech concerns with my almost 2 year old and it seems that what they are looking for at this age is for them to be able to put 2 words together so your son is probably right where he should be. Tips I've been given sound similar to what has already been mentioned. Read to him, try to get him to say something before giving him what he wants. Point out and name everything. This may be too simple for your son though, mine is pretty much not talking at all. So I was told to do things like roll a ball to him and the whole time we roll the ball back and forth say "ball, ball, ball" over and over again.

mem82
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

My boys were like that! It got better after three.

mem82
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM

My girls on the other hand both talked early, and clearly. My 2yo daughter talks almost as well as my four year old son.

whoodathunk
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Talk to him.  Sing songs together.  Play games.  He'll pick it up, but you have to play with him!  If you're really concerned, ask your doctor if he's within normal parameters.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I think he sounds about within normal range for just turning 2. some kids are talkers and some aren't. Does he not understand when you ask him to do things?

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My son was like that and my husband and I were worried. We made an appointment with a speech therapist and they said to give it another month or two, while they were right out of nowhere he started talking well and by age 3, he was caught up. My other children were all early talkers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)