Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Terrible 2s

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM
  • 8 Replies
Hi! I just joined cafe moms! My son will be 2 may 17 he is already really feisty I have a hard time not "yelling" at him and I'm pretty sure that's why he doesn't listen to me like he used to. Do Amy of you have advice on punishments that don't involve yelling or spanking but will put him back on the right track?
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello and welcome!

Have you tried time outs? They are more gentle but get the point across.

edithch
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Take his toys away.that works for us I ask him to do something, if he says no then I take something away and let him know he needs to do as I ask first to get it back.
victoriaherring
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter has had the terrible 1s, 2s, and 3s. She just has so much energy.. She isn't trying to be bad, she's just doing what kids to, but she has a hard time listening and following directions. I've tried every sort of punishment I can think of.. I only really notice a difference when we spend more time playing outdoors and I make more of an effort to praise her when she is good. The more I say good job the more she tries to be good. I just recently made a reward jar and when I see her being good I let her put a rock in it. It's those pretty glass rock things. She knows when it's full she gets a prize.
Mammabear12
by New Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Thank you I will try what you suggest I have tried time out but he doesn't sit
PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Two year olds can't really "listen".  They have very little impulse control.  I personally wouldn't punish a two year old, I don't even punish my 4 year old and he is very well mannered and well behaved.  He is probably just testing his boundaries to see what is allowed and what isn't.  Try to use as few words as possible and always back up your words and rules with actions.  At age two you need to physically guide more than talk.  You will need to do a lot of repitition but he will eventually get what he is allowed or not allowed to do.  I found that learning about my child's development at different ages really helped me with dicipline because I could understand where he was coming from and what he was trying to accomplish.  I also love this website and it has lots of helpful information on gentle parenting  http://www.ahaparenting.com/.   Good luck!

owl0210
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM
The two's were nothing. Just wait until the three's and four's come. Those are the worse lol.
little.worthen
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:36 PM

time out. cooling down. talking to him. redirecting him.

Larsbug
by Laura on May. 1, 2014 at 3:55 PM

he's plenty old enough for time outs at this age... my 2 year old hates getting them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)