Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need advice

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM
  • 15 Replies
I just got out of a very abusive relationship. My children are 2 & 3. My oldest has improved behavior wise due to school. Since he wasn't around my husband all the time he got better. My youngest stayed home all day with my husband while I worked. He just watched tv and ate junk food all day. My youngest throws everything. He hits me and his brother when he doesn't get his way. He is use to being spanked but I hate doing that. He bites and pulls hair, gets into everything. He refuses to sleep because he was always allowed to stay up late. Neither child listens and are always screaming and yelling. I want to take them outside but can't. Since we are hiding from my husband they have no choice but to stay inside our apartment. They don't have many toys and can only watch movies and play. Their play consists of my youngest screaming at everything and them both running and slamming doors. I don't have anything to keep them occupied for long. They haven't even popped today and it's already 3:15. What can I do to get them to listen and to play quietly. And sleep without screaming. Any advice will be appreciated
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenD_77
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

No advice here really, sorry, Here's a bump though....

mamak3211
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Crafts? Play doh? Indoor obstacle course? Fort building. Dance parties. Are there any indoor activities you can go to or maybe a park a little farther away that your ex wouldn't go to? Or maybe an indoor play space? We have a science center nearby my daughter loves to go to.
Usagi1023
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Plenty of places but no way or money to get there. My truck was repossessed by the dealership. I don't have any crafts they can do.

Quoting mamak3211: Crafts? Play doh? Indoor obstacle course? Fort building. Dance parties. Are there any indoor activities you can go to or maybe a park a little farther away that your ex wouldn't go to? Or maybe an indoor play space? We have a science center nearby my daughter loves to go to.
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Hugs. Do you have any money to spend on them? Coloring books, books, small toys, etc are usually in the $1 area of target. There's no elementary school nearby with a play structure that you could go to? You can't go for a walk around your apartment complex?

Free, inside activities include: making a fort, baking something, reading, drawing, playing hide and seek, hiding stuffed animals and finding them, baking something, bubbles in the bathtub, play in the tub with water in it (expect a mess though).

Unfortunately it's tough when you can't go outside or anywhere....we are usually outside or out of the house a few hours a day or the kids go nuts.
sarahw06219
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Are you receiving any kind of help from a women's shelter or similar? I think that needs to be your next phone call. They can help you get the resources you need for yourself and your kids.
Usagi1023
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM
I haven't gotten any resources except help with my paperwork.

Quoting sarahw06219: Are you receiving any kind of help from a women's shelter or similar? I think that needs to be your next phone call. They can help you get the resources you need for yourself and your kids.
Usagi1023
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:02 AM
I am going to see if my mom would be kind enough to buy time stuff for them to okay with

Quoting collinsmommy0: Hugs. Do you have any money to spend on them? Coloring books, books, small toys, etc are usually in the $1 area of target. There's no elementary school nearby with a play structure that you could go to? You can't go for a walk around your apartment complex?

Free, inside activities include: making a fort, baking something, reading, drawing, playing hide and seek, hiding stuffed animals and finding them, baking something, bubbles in the bathtub, play in the tub with water in it (expect a mess though).

Unfortunately it's tough when you can't go outside or anywhere....we are usually outside or out of the house a few hours a day or the kids go nuts.
jessi2girls
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:11 AM

It's going to take time for them to readjust.. 

Try talking in low tones.. just above a whisper, so they have to come close to hear you when you talk.. kids love to mimick and eventually they will realize that they get more attention from talking quieter, than they do when they yell.. (be sure not to play into their yelling).

As far as games and such.. try crafting while learning ABCs, colors, shapes, etc... build a tent out of blankets in the livingroom and make some smores, just try to keep things happy..  

try games like hide and seek... or red light green light, simon says.. I spy..(my dd and i used to pay eye spy with certain colors or shapes)..

do a scavenger hunt of toys/treats.

Usagi1023
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM
All these are great ideas. I can use the few toys they have for a little treasure hunt. They love hide and seek but tend to get loud playing. Kinda hard not to when they play with my 9 year old brother. Lol. Thanks for the advice

Quoting jessi2girls:

Try talking in low tones.. just above a whisper, so they have to come close to hear you when you talk.. kids love to mimick and eventually they will realize that they get more attention from talking quieter, than they do when they yell.. (be sure not to play into their yelling).

As far as games and such.. try crafting while learning ABCs, colors, shapes, etc... build a tent out of blankets in the livingroom and make some smores, just try to keep things happy..  

try games like hide and seek... or red light green light, simon says.. I spy..(my dd and i used to pay eye spy with certain colors or shapes)..

jessi2girls
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM

2 and 3 year olds will get loud sometimes, lol.  I have two girls, 3 and 6, so I've definitely listened to my fair share of screeching lol.  You could try to implement quiet time during hide and seek too, or play freeze tag along with it so they can't talk if they are tagged.. to try to keep the noise down a little. 

Quoting Usagi1023: All these are great ideas. I can use the few toys they have for a little treasure hunt. They love hide and seek but tend to get loud playing. Kinda hard not to when they play with my 9 year old brother. Lol. Thanks for the advice
Quoting jessi2girls:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)