Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

A Pet For A four year old?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
  • 58 Replies

Poll

Question: What pet would be good for DD?

Options:

Do not get a pet she isn't ready for one

Get her the fish

Get her the cockatiels

Get her a different kind of pet ( please list your suggestion in the comments

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

So I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm considering getting DD  a pet. I want something that is low maintenance but social. I'm typically out of the house  12hrs a day Monday - Friday ( work ) so I know a puppy is out of the question. So, I wanted to see what you ladies would suggest.

DD will be 4 in June. she is very obedient and not rough in any way. the only thing with her is that she will want to constantly hold the pet. And yes, I know that can be annoying for the animal, which is why I know a puppy or a cat is not ideal at this time. other then that I know she will be good. I will give her some responsibilities to the animal as well, of course it will be more of a way to keep her involved and not so much of a "chore" thing. I want her to be able to participate in feeding, giving clean water, I would like it if she can hand feed her pet for bonding reasons. So far it's come down to two pets. I will either get her a small 5 gallon aquarium with small different types of fishes, or a cockatiel. I think the fishes will be great being that they don't require any major care taking, and she will be able to feed them herself, but then again, she cant really play or bond with them. so then that leads me to buying a couple of cockatiels. I will get two so that they can socialize with each other while I'm at work. But I like the idea that she can actually take them out of the cage and hand feed them and interact with them. I know she is  gentle enough that I don't have to worry about her accidentally hurting the birds. she can help me give them clean water and food when needed. I will of course clean the cage and supervise all interaction. what do you think? If you dont think either pet is ideal please feel free to make a suggestion.

BTW: Hamsters, rats, guinea pigs, or anything with rat-like teeth are a no-no. I am terrified of them ( bad childhood experience)

by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephw1110
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I would not suggest a bird for a young child.  Sometimes you can get a nice one buy you could also get a mean one.  They're really fragile and need a lot more care than you would think.  Is a bunny out of the question? Those can be caged but also can be litter trained like a cat.  They can be pretty docile but still lots of fun.  

mrfi4916
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I considered getting a bunny, but I am terrified of them, and they know it, I got bit several times when I was around 7 yrs old, My mom brought home a wild bunny and I had no clue that it was aggressive, I tried to carry it and it went at me. Then a couple of years ago, I tried to feed my niece's bunny and it charged at me with it's mouth wide open and teeth completly exposed. It didnt bite bit, but I was so terrified that I sreamed and cried.. after the shock and fear went away I laughed at myself so hard. but fact is I'm afraid of any animal that has that kind of teeth.

Quoting Stephw1110:

I would not suggest a bird for a young child.  Sometimes you can get a nice one buy you could also get a mean one.  They're really fragile and need a lot more care than you would think.  Is a bunny out of the question? Those can be caged but also can be litter trained like a cat.  They can be pretty docile but still lots of fun.  

pinkiebabii
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM
What about a rabbit?

Maybe a chicken or hermit crab?

DS is two and loves his fish but obviously it isn't a cuddly pet.

He also had a Guinea pig and he loved it (died in my neighbors care).
mrfi4916
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I considered getting a bunny, but I am terrified of them, and they know it, I got bit several times when I was around 7 yrs old, My mom brought home a wild bunny and I had no clue that it was aggressive, I tried to carry it and it went at me. Then a couple of years ago, I tried to feed my niece's bunny and it charged at me with it's mouth wide open and teeth completly exposed. It didnt bite bit, but I was so terrified that I sreamed and cried.. after the shock and fear went away I laughed at myself so hard. but fact is I'm afraid of any animal that has that kind of teeth

Quoting pinkiebabii: What about a rabbit? Maybe a chicken or hermit crab? DS is two and loves his fish but obviously it isn't a cuddly pet. He also had a Guinea pig and he loved it (died in my neighbors care).

pinkiebabii
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM
A turtle?
Liz132
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM
We have two parakeets they are easy to take care of and you can interact with them. My five year old can handle them without hurting them.
mrfi4916
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Are they social? (sincere question) 

Quoting pinkiebabii: A turtle?

preacherskid
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not go with the bird.  If not a fish, try hermit crabs, frogs, or a turtle, something low maintenance and easy going.  I have been bitten by pet birds, cockatiels can be noisy, there is a possibility of allergies (DH is highly allergic) and they can be pretty smelly if their cage isn't religiously cleaned.

preacherskid
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM

They are not social in the same way as a mammal, but they can be handled by a gentle child.  If you get a turtle you want to be sure she washes her hands well after handling it.

Quoting mrfi4916:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

mrfi4916
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM

ok thank you.

Quoting preacherskid:

They are not social in the same way as a mammal, but they can be handled by a gentle child.  If you get a turtle you want to be sure she washes her hands well after handling it.

Quoting mrfi4916:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN