Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM
  • 15 Replies
Did tou start allowing your LO (s) to play outside while you're not with them, whether it was in the yard or going over to the park or wherever?

Dd is 3.5 and our yard has a chain link fence all around the property. We don't live in the best neighborhood ever but it's certainly not the worst. I'd like to be able to let dd play outside and check on her if I'm doing dishes or something inside.

Thanks to everyone in a advance for any advice
by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife-4-life
by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM
My oldest, dd1 is 4 and I am still not comfortable with her playing in our fenced in yard unsupervised. I am in a safe neighborhood but I still am not comfortable with it.

But if you are, I know people who do let theirs at 3-1/2, it's all a matter of opinion I think.
waytomanykids10
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

My kids usually start playing outside by themselves when they are about 2. RIght now none of my kids are being allowed to play outside without adult supervision. We had to last week get a restraining order against my mother and so far we have had "company" from her cousin and his wife, and then today her other cousin showed up. I do not trust that they wouldn't try to do anything.

HippoCat
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 2 and 4 and I only leave them unsupervised in the back yard for a minute or two if I need to run inside for something. I won't be comfortable with them unsupervised, especially my 4 year old , or a long time.

CLEKate
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM

At our last house, we also had the fenced backyard--I would allow my boys (2-3 YO) out there unsupervised for 10-15 minutes at a time. 

Our current home is on a cul-de-sac in a safe neighborhood.  I will let them out for a few minutes alone (they are now 4 & 5) before I get nervous.  No fence.  Lots of land. 

SixLowes
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I let my 5 yr old go out without me, if my 7 and 9 yr olds are out there as well but I won't let him go by himself. I start letting them go by themselves around 6.

JLC_mama
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM
I have a 4 8 and 10 ur old. We live in the country and none of them are allowed outside without me.
maria1613
by on May. 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Oh my! Well best wishes to you while this is going on

Quoting waytomanykids10:

My kids usually start playing outside by themselves when they are about 2. RIght now none of my kids are being allowed to play outside without adult supervision. We had to last week get a restraining order against my mother and so far we have had "company" from her cousin and his wife, and then today her other cousin showed up. I do not trust that they wouldn't try to do anything.

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM

My oldest is 5 and I'm stillnot comfortable with it.

babyblue415
by on May. 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM
My kids wont be allowed outside by themselves until teens. We are in a bad neighborhood.
Lindsey1823
by on May. 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM

My daughters are 3 and 5 and we have a fenced in backyard that they play in alone. I check on them every 10-15 mins and they're fine. Our gates have locks on them so I'm not that worried about it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)