Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Nap Time for An Almost Two Year old?

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM
  • 21 Replies

My son will be two in June. Some days, he takes a nap. On those days, he ends up not going to bed till after ten o'clock at night. On the days he doesn't have a nap, he goes to bed early. Him taking a nap usually depends on what time he gets up in the morning. I let him wake up when he wants to wake up...usually anywhere from nine to eleven o'clock in the morning.

When I took him with me babysitting, he would get up at around six thirty and then be asleep again by nine and then up at twelve in the afternoon. I think it's harder getting him down for a nap is because i have stopped nursing him to sleep. I did nurse him to sleep today though...mainly because I needed a nap as well.

Is it okay to let him not have a nap even though he isn't even two yet? I don't force him to stay up. If I don't actively try and put him down for a nap by rocking or nursing, he doesn't take one. And no, he does not get many sweets. I limit his sweets because they make him hyper. He make get chocolate/junk about once or twice a week...if even that.

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kellileanne
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
My 21 month old gets up between 8:00-9:00, naps usually from 11:30 till 1:00 or 1:30 and in bed around 9:00.
JenniferMiller0
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Maybe I should insist he get up earlier? I hate doing that because then he gets all cranky. He got up when I did at nine this morning so he was asleep by one 1:30 and then up by 4.  I very rarely get him to sleep before 10.

Quoting Kellileanne: My 21 month old gets up between 8:00-9:00, naps usually from 11:30 till 1:00 or 1:30 and in bed around 9:00.

CafeMom Tickers

Kellileanne
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:25 PM
It takes time to adjust their bedtime, I would just do 30min early for the first few days, then 30 more min early for a few days, etc till you get to the time you want. If he doesn't start waking up earlier start making noise in the house that is just loud enough to bring him out of a deep sleep, that way he still wakes up slowly.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Maybe I should insist he get up earlier? I hate doing that because then he gets all cranky. He got up when I did at nine this morning so he was asleep by one 1:30 and then up by 4.  I very rarely get him to sleep before 10.

Quoting Kellileanne: My 21 month old gets up between 8:00-9:00, naps usually from 11:30 till 1:00 or 1:30 and in bed around 9:00.

JenniferMiller0
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Most days I am the first one up, around 7:30 in the morning, and I enjoy the quiet. We still nurse at night. If we didn't, he would probably get up way earlier to get something to drink. But I guess I am just lazy. We live in a house full of people so how late he sleeps usually does depend on the noise level. If every one is up and moving at around 8:30-9:00 than he usually is to. Same goes with his bedtime. Some times, we have people coming in our room at 11:00!

Quoting Kellileanne: It takes time to adjust their bedtime, I would just do 30min early for the first few days, then 30 more min early for a few days, etc till you get to the time you want. If he doesn't start waking up earlier start making noise in the house that is just loud enough to bring him out of a deep sleep, that way he still wakes up slowly.
Quoting JenniferMiller0:

CafeMom Tickers

Kellileanne
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Yeah, that would make it harder. Do they have to be making noise and coming in and out?

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Most days I am the first one up, around 7:30 in the morning, and I enjoy the quiet. We still nurse at night. If we didn't, he would probably get up way earlier to get something to drink. But I guess I am just lazy. We live in a house full of people so how late he sleeps usually does depend on the noise level. If every one is up and moving at around 8:30-9:00 than he usually is to. Same goes with his bedtime. Some times, we have people coming in our room at 11:00!

Quoting Kellileanne: It takes time to adjust their bedtime, I would just do 30min early for the first few days, then 30 more min early for a few days, etc till you get to the time you want. If he doesn't start waking up earlier start making noise in the house that is just loud enough to bring him out of a deep sleep, that way he still wakes up slowly.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

JenniferMiller0
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM

No, they don't have to but the do it anyway. Sometimes they dont. It just irratates me when I am trying to get him to sleep and they won't leave me alone for two seconds. That's why I wish me and hubby had our own place instead of living with his family. I have a job interview coming up sometime this week. I hope I get that job so I can start saving money for our own place.

Quoting Kellileanne: Yeah, that would make it harder. Do they have to be making noise and coming in and out?
Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

CafeMom Tickers

Kellileanne
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I would definitely doing all I could to get a place, that would drive me nuts.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

No, they don't have to but the do it anyway. Sometimes they dont. It just irratates me when I am trying to get him to sleep and they won't leave me alone for two seconds. That's why I wish me and hubby had our own place instead of living with his family. I have a job interview coming up sometime this week. I hope I get that job so I can start saving money for our own place.

Quoting Kellileanne: Yeah, that would make it harder. Do they have to be making noise and coming in and out?

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

kwhitey
by on May. 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM
They say kids age 2-6 need one nap a day for about 1-2. And need 10-14 hours total per day. Not only does it help your LO not to be so cranky but it's important for them to get lots of sleep for the development of their brains. Here's is a good site that has a chart.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc
Jessica-Daniell
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:39 PM

My DD will be two on the 18th. If she doesn't get a nap she is cranky all day and sometimes wont eat. Then when it's time for bed she becomes restless and crankier because she is overly tired. So, I put her down every day for nap. (don't have to cuddle her to sleep for a nap anymore though... I just put her in bed or on couch (depending where we are) turn on a cartoon and give a binki and blanket and she is out with in 5 min.

(I plan to get rid of binki at her nap when she 25 months and by the time she is 2.5 get rid of it all together.)
I don't think I'll stop giving her a nap untill shes at least 3.

My Daughter wakes every day between 8 - 8:30a takes a nap betwen 1 - 1:30pm and bed around 9 - 10pm

iamcafemom83
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm. Well my kids have always been crack of dawn kids. So, my 4 yo still naps. We did go through a rebellion stage around age 2 with both where they tried to nap strike....and lost haha.

But wow your little one sleeps til 11? That pretty much cover a nap when he does that.

I personally push for naps because, like I said mine are early risers AND I personally need that time for myself in the afternoon.

Are you happy with the way things are or would you prefer he napped?
If you want him to nap, it will take setting a bedtime for him and sticking with it. This may lead the way to earlier mornings, and naps:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN