Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Swim lessons.

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM
  • 20 Replies

Is 4 a good age to start swimming lessons? The local YMCA does them and I was thinking about enrolling my DD. She is a little water baby and will stay in the tub or pool for hours if you let her. I want to enroll her so when summer comes around she will be safer when we go to the pool.

by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I think 2 is a good age. So yes 4 is good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM
It depends on the child. I've seen kids do great at 6 months old.
kitten2bite
by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I think that is a great age for swim lessons!  I was thinking about it for my girl who is only 2.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM
None of my kids ever took swim lessons they are like fish in the water from us teaching them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Capemom01
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:46 PM
My daughter started at 5 months.. Even if it's just learning how to be safe and comfortable in the water I think that it is never too early to start swim lessons. Sounds like it would be perfect for her, I would definitely sign her up!
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by on May. 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Yes I don't do swim lessons before this age.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Yeah, why not?

I had my 2 year old in them last year & it got him used to the water & taught me what to do with him the rest of the summer. I've already signed him up (he just turned 3) for this summer. We belong to a pool so he's in water 2-3 times a week
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM
My kids have done swim lessons since they were tiny. My dd is almost 5 and is in lessons at the community center. She's been swimming independently for 2 months. She's part fish. My 7 year old is jealous because he can't even swim independently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by on May. 13, 2014 at 7:36 AM

It is never to early to start!!  We go to the county pool and take lessons.  They parent child class until the age of 3 to get kids used to the water.  Most of them are swimming before they turn 3 if they start early enough.  After 3....they go into levels learning to be comfortable with water, and then actually learning to swim, and then onto perfecting strokes.  My girls are level 2.  One of them can swim, but they won't move her up because of her level of endurance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN