Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

At dinner time my bf will constantly yell at his 4yr old to eat.

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM
  • 22 Replies
The 4yr old is never hungry. At dinner he will barley eat, picking at his food. If he starts talking to me, then my bf will tell him to stop talking and eat. It just makes dinner time horrible. I've tried to make it fun, like raceing to see who can get done first. It doesn't always work though. If we leave him alone then he will still be sitting at the dinner table for hours. What should we do? The boy needs to eat because he is underweight..
by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mymanben
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Pediasure?
kitten2bite
by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Milk and honey :)

HopesNDreams
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:53 PM
6 moms liked this
Has it occurred to either of you that maybe the anxiety of the yelling and the games might be why he isn't eating? It sounds extremely stressful and horrible!

Start over! Put a small spoonful - a mouthful - of each food on his plate. When he eats any of it, congratulate him! If he asks for more, give him more and let him serve it. Make eating positive. I'm not sure I would want to eat anything at that table either.

Don't nag him!
jmason1009
by New Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Ok sounds great. What if he only wants to eat a tiny bit? My bf said his son will not eat dinner and then want food in the middle of the night. So he's had to get up at 1am and make him some food. Definitely not a good habit for my bf because it ruins the few hrs of sleep he gets.
Roo1234
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Personally, you can't force a child to eat and anger at him is just going to make more anxious and less likely to eat.  How does he eat throughout the day?  Is every meal an issue? 

If it were me I would stop focusing on the quantity, make sure the quality is good (make every bite count) and just make meal time pleasant.  

SophiaKsMom
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM
What is he drinking and how much. If you give a kid milk before dinner they aren't going to eat much.

I see nothing wrong with him talking to you as long as he eats. Why would he want to eat if his dad is constantly yelling at him to do so.
Sigmalade
by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell your bf to stop hollering. Dh and I usually just started hollering at each other. Offer small meals and snacks throughout the day. I give ds the pedisure milk every once in awhile and I try to keep those coupons because it cost more than regular milk. My son has to taste everything twice before he can get up and he knows this, or no dessert. Hollering doesn't make it better and you just need to tell your bf this. I give ds his small plate with a taste of everything we are eating, plus I always will have something that he likes like an apple, peaches.

mommyof3kid82
by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Yelling doesn't work its problem making your son upset and not want to eat at all. Try talking to him does it not like the food, does it hurt his tummy when he eats, did something happen to him and he is upset and not wanting to eat. if you can afford pedisure  because that stuff is expensive try a health yogurt smoothie you can make in the blender. I hope he eats better soon.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM
Is he snacking or filling up on beverages before dinner? I wouldn't do pediasure because it'll fill him up. I agree with the advice of putting very small portions on his plate for now and telling your bf to calm down.

How does he do with his other meals/snacks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anewlynn
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you ask the pediatrian for ideas?  Maybe she has some good ideas or maybe isn't as concerned as you are about his weight?  I think if you keep pressuring him it will cause food/weight issues later in life also.  Control issues that conincide with food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN