Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Montessori experiences

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM
  • 10 Replies
My dd got accepted in the local montessori school for next year. I'm so excited because our public schools are definitely lacking. I was just curious if anyone had stories good or bad about their kids going to a montessori school. Anything they loved or hated about it??
by on May. 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bloomsr
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 6:33 PM
My son went to one for 4K. I liked it but it was not right for him. He much prefers a definitive, correct, tell me what to do and I will do it and show it to you when I'm done environment... That is definitely not in the Montessori philosophy.

The class size was a bit large but my son really enjoyed his year there.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM
I went to montessori for preschool and loved it.

My kids also attend montessori for preschool and pre-k. It's expensive but worth every penny.

Not all montessoris are created equal and montessori is not right for all kids. Many schools call themselves montessori but don't actually follow the method. They charge montessori tuition without providing the services. Know what you are paying for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mattsmate
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Our daughter is in a Montessori preschool. She is thriving.
athorne
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I remember studying a lot about the Montessori method and I like it. There are no schools where i'm from that offers them. If there is there is only a few and the tuition is probably a lot. I think it is great that the children learn about things on thier own perspective so they can use a lot of problem solving and experiences.

sjoshea
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I posted this on another string.  This could be unique to this school or typical Montessori; I don't know.  This was our experience...

My 4.5 y/o DS was in a Montessori school for 1 year (3-4 y/o).  There is nothing about Montessori that is Play-Based; all play-based activities were frowned upon and even disciplined.  Their main philosphy is that all children are required to work INDIVIDUALLY.  They are not permitted to work together on any activity unless it is a 'preplanned group activity'.  The environment in the classroom is silent; even clapping is not permitted (they are taught to shake their hands in the air instead).

Over the summer, my son started quoting his teacher, "DO YOUR WORK, DO YOUR WORK."  When we inquired with the teacher/director, she told us our son was "too social" and constantly wanted  to "interact" with other classmates which is prohibited.   Lastly we found that the majority of boys, in this particular school, did not return after the first year.  Parents choice to remove or Schools choice to turn them away, I don't know.  The Director opinion was that boys were way to active and physical. 

The parting words from the Director and my DS's teacher was that they didn't know how to engage my DS.  These people are preschool teachers (2.9 y/o to 5 y/o) and they don't know how to engage a preschooler?!!  We ran for the hills!!  DS is in an academic/religious school and is thriving!

mopsmommy5
by on May. 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I used the Montessorri method and books for homeschooling and loved it. We will have both kids attending a charter school based on the Montessori method next year too. Its a preschool thru highschool. It really helps kids excel and work at their own pace, which is great! Ours wont have any homework either. Some schools have loads of homework, check that part out for sure! Don't think kids should have homework after being in school all day five days a week-but that's just me!

TardisBlue
by on May. 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
That is absolutely NOT what Montessori should be!!! You should send your experiences to the Montessori main organization...can't remember what it is called right now.
A school cannot call themselves Montessori unless they are certified and the rules for getting the certification are strict.

Montessori is not a 'play and do whatever you want' thing, but it is very much child led activities. The child is put in an environment with stimulating materials. At times, the teacher will teach the students how to use the materials, but the whole focus should be 'teach me how to do it by myself' because children are meant to learn from internal motivacation.

There are rules in a Montessori classroom, but those are about respect for self and others. Yes, sometimes the children have to stay at their table, and some projects have to be done alone (that's more for the older grades, btw), but mostly children are expected to behave because they are shown how to make good choices. Yelling at them to do their work...no, that should NOT be the norm!
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I went to Montessori preK & K and LOVED it but that was 30 years ago and it was a true Montessori school. It worked well for me because Montessori encourages independence and I was a fiercely independent child(emphasis on fierce!)As a previous poster said, be careful lots of preschools slap Montessori in there as an excuse to charge more or as a buzz word to attract folks but aren't using Montessori methods properly. Definitely do your research. Like for everything with kids one size does NOT fit all and some children thrive why others are not happy. Take a tour, watch 1 days worth of school, etc and consider if it is a good fit for your child. If it is yay, if not look for something else don't force your kiddo into something just because the public school isn't the best.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You had a bad school.  Any good school will not be even remotely what you described.  Work is child led but that doesn't mean insolation and discipline.  My daughter works together with other children, they clap and sing songs during circle time and there is a moderate noise level thru the day.  Our Montessori is considered a "hybrid" Montessori that runs their academics following Maria Montessori's method but also has additions.  The Montessori I attended as a child was a very strict Montessori and wasn't even close to what you mentioned.  Again, I think you just got a bad egg.  I'm sorry that was your experience because they are not all like that.  I'm glad your son has found a good place.

Quoting sjoshea:

I posted this on another string.  This could be unique to this school or typical Montessori; I don't know.  This was our experience...

My 4.5 y/o DS was in a Montessori school for 1 year (3-4 y/o).  There is nothing about Montessori that is Play-Based; all play-based activities were frowned upon and even disciplined.  Their main philosphy is that all children are required to work INDIVIDUALLY.  They are not permitted to work together on any activity unless it is a 'preplanned group activity'.  The environment in the classroom is silent; even clapping is not permitted (they are taught to shake their hands in the air instead).

Over the summer, my son started quoting his teacher, "DO YOUR WORK, DO YOUR WORK."  When we inquired with the teacher/director, she told us our son was "too social" and constantly wanted  to "interact" with other classmates which is prohibited.   Lastly we found that the majority of boys, in this particular school, did not return after the first year.  Parents choice to remove or Schools choice to turn them away, I don't know.  The Director opinion was that boys were way to active and physical. 

The parting words from the Director and my DS's teacher was that they didn't know how to engage my DS.  These people are preschool teachers (2.9 y/o to 5 y/o) and they don't know how to engage a preschooler?!!  We ran for the hills!!  DS is in an academic/religious school and is thriving!

ktleigh
by on May. 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM

our daughter attended from k-3rd and it was teh most amazing experience for her.  Her school really emphisised teaching the whole child and encouraged communty learning.  It isn't for every child but I think checking it out and giving it a chance would be beneficial.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN