Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

toddler bathroom issues.....

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM
  • 4 Replies

My DD is about 2 1/2 years old. She is still in diapers. She recently had some issues with peeing (i.e nothing was wrong, no infections, she was just holding it literally ALL DAY) we don't know if it was from embarrassment or just being a busy kid. Well we've been fighting to get her to drink regularly and pee up too at least 3 times a day. She had held it OVER 24 hours at one point. Ended up in the ER and got send home with a catheter for two days. After that like I said its been a fight to keep her drinking. The urologist said to give her any kind of fluid she wants as long as shes drinking. So naturally we've been giving her juice, water, etc. (no soda or anything like that) but popcicles anything to fill her up with fluids. And the peeing has somewhat gone back to normal. Although she still holds it in the AM. Well today DD slept in later than usual. Woke up for her bath and has been holding her tummy saying "my belly hurts" and apparently hasn't gone poop since sunday.. *sigh*

any ideas on what to get her to try and eat to get her to go to the bathroom? should I give her some pediasure for the stomach pain? She has all of a sudden stopped wanting whole milk I might also add. We've been trying to get her to drink more milk but all she wants is juice (assorted diluted kinds) and we weren't exactly in the position to deny her fluids. We needed her to drink so she could go pee...

this is horribly frustrating and I dont know how to get this child to poop! I'm thinking a trip to her pedi is in order in the next few days.

by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SophiaKsMom
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM
What kind of juice are you giving her? I used to give my oldest dd pear juice to help her poop. You can even try prune juice. If you can't get her to poop some say to use Miralax or a glycerin laxative. Warm bath can help some. The problem with not going is you can get impacted and that is no fun for anyone.

As far as milk if she is eating other dairy products she should be fine without milk. If you have to much dairy as least for my kids they get constipated.

Pediasure is basically something to help with getting her nutrients. Sometimes its given to help kids gain weight.

Good luck.
kld10811
by New Member on May. 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM
She isn't eating much cheese or yogurt here lately. I did get her to drink a cup and a half of milk. I got confused with the name for the pain medicine. It's pediacare lol I didn't mean to type pediasure. Still no bowel movement and no pee yet either... Idk why she is rebelling so much.

Quoting SophiaKsMom: What kind of juice are you giving her? I used to give my oldest dd pear juice to help her poop. You can even try prune juice. If you can't get her to poop some say to use Miralax or a glycerin laxative. Warm bath can help some. The problem with not going is you can get impacted and that is no fun for anyone.

As far as milk if she is eating other dairy products she should be fine without milk. If you have to much dairy as least for my kids they get constipated.

Pediasure is basically something to help with getting her nutrients. Sometimes its given to help kids gain weight.

Good luck.
SophiaKsMom
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Its ok. Like I said just be careful that she doesn't get impacted.

Hiw is her eating otherwise? Sometimes when they can't poop they don't want to eat.

Quoting kld10811: She isn't eating much cheese or yogurt here lately. I did get her to drink a cup and a half of milk. I got confused with the name for the pain medicine. It's pediacare lol I didn't mean to type pediasure. Still no bowel movement and no pee yet either... Idk why she is rebelling so much.

Quoting SophiaKsMom: What kind of juice are you giving her? I used to give my oldest dd pear juice to help her poop. You can even try prune juice. If you can't get her to poop some say to use Miralax or a glycerin laxative. Warm bath can help some. The problem with not going is you can get impacted and that is no fun for anyone.

Good luck.
Blue462
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM
I would try prune juice. I sometimes mix it with apple juice for my DS because it doesn't taste so good. I would take her to the doctor too. At that age it is hard for them to explain what is wrong. Maybe she is just being difficult but maybe she has something more serious going on. Hope she feels better soon!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)